Best way to remove lower side stainless on the quarter panel of a 65 Riviera

OK guys, I would like advice on removing and installing the 12 inch long piece

of stainless on the right lower quarter panel between the wheel well and the door. My original has a small ding in it and I bought a perfect used one but not sure of best way to remove the old one and install the new one......looking

forward to your advice.

Try to save the original clips as the after market ones don’t seem to hold the molding as tight to sheet medal. You may want to remove back seat panel to release clips. 

8 hours ago, Seafoam65 said:

OK guys, I would like advice on removing and installing the 12 inch long piece

of stainless on the right lower quarter panel between the wheel well and the door. My original has a small ding in it and I bought a perfect used one but not sure of best way to remove the old one and install the new one......looking

forward to your advice.

Hi Winston,

I have done this a couple of times on my 1963. Right or wrong, this is what I did. Others may have a different take. 

That piece is held on with plastic clips pictured below. There are 3 ways to remove that I see.

1). Push the clips out from the backside as Chuck suggested. That would involve taking out the back seat, interior rear quarter panels, etc.

2). From the door side of the molding gently pull toward the front of the car and the molding should slide off of the clips. This is what I have done.

3). These moldings slip over small ridges on the top and bottom of the clips. Take something that will not hurt the paint such as plastic pry tools and gently slip the top or bottom off of the clip. Then it should pull off easily.

To reinstall I placed the molding in position or close to it and hooked it over the top (or Bottom) of the clip and then with gentle pressure push down (or up) on the molding to get it to slip over the opposite edge. Once it is over the clips you can slide it back and forth to get it exactly where it should be. I don't remember but, I may have loosened the rear wheel opening molding so that the molding would pull off and reposition easier on that end.

You could also slide it back on the way it was pulled off. I did not do it this way as I was worried that the front edge might catch and scratch the paint. 

I hope this helps.

Bill

20240305_072058.jpg

20240305_072119.jpg

Edited by Riviera63 (see edit history)

9 hours ago, Riviera63 said:

Hi Winston,

I have done this a couple of times on my 1963. Right or wrong, this is what I did. Others may have a different take. 

That piece is held on with plastic clips pictured below. There are 3 ways to remove that I see.

1). Push the clips out from the backside as Chuck suggested. That would involve taking out the back seat, interior rear quarter panels, etc.

2). From the door side of the molding gently pull toward the front of the car and the molding should slide off of the clips. This is what I have done.

3). These moldings slip over small ridges on the top and bottom of the clips. Take something that will not hurt the paint such as plastic pry tools and gently slip the top or bottom off of the clip. Then it should pull off easily.

To reinstall I placed the molding in position or close to it and hooked it over the top (or Bottom) of the clip and then with gentle pressure push down (or up) on the molding to get it to slip over the opposite edge. Once it is over the clips you can slide it back and forth to get it exactly where it should be. I don't remember but, I may have loosened the rear wheel opening molding so that the molding would pull off and reposition easier on that end.

You could also slide it back on the way it was pulled off. I did not do it this way as I was worried that the front edge might catch and scratch the paint. 

I hope this helps.

Bill

20240305_072058.jpg

20240305_072119.jpg

Thanks Bill......I thought that it would slide off and on but wasn't sure that was possible......

I will give that a try, thanks.