Raleigh NC, info plse (I might be moving to Raleigh NC in year or 2. Several questions for any Raleigh folks:)

68LTD

I might be moving to Raleigh NC in year or 2.  Several questions for any Raleigh folks:

-I like to drive some nice curvy country rods.  Which areas have the best roads??

-Which counties are less particular about detached garages or standalone decks??

-Are there weekend car cruises for the old American car crowd??, vs the BMW / rice burner crowd.

-I assume there is an active AACA regional group.

Thnx all.  Thomas P in VA   66 and 68 XL convertibles, 68 LTD

Send me a private message if you prefer to talk, I am not long winded…

• Peter Gariepy changed the title to Raleigh NC, info plse (I might be moving to Raleigh NC in year or 2. Several questions for any Raleigh folks:)

I’m on the coast, but the biggest advice I can give you is not just to read, but to study the HOA rules for whatever property you’re buying like your life depends on it… I have seen some that are so restrictive that someone would have every right to complain if you opened your hood to check the Oil. We were in a neighborhood that didn’t allow home businesses and I was questioned for working on my car with the garage door open. We moved to another town into a place without any HOA but it was more about the location (and garage size) than enmity towards the old HOA, but the chicken sh** was getting annoying too.

• Like 3

NC is a very active AACA state with a strong chapter in Raleigh NC. It is the Triangle AACA Chapter. Visit their website at triangleaaca.org. I am sure the members can help you with your questions about their chapter and housing in the Raleigh-Durham area. I live in Pinehurst, NC about 1 hour south of Raleigh. Lots of 2 lane country roads all over the state. Also many active chapters throughout the state with weekend cars and coffee get together and shows. You can check the NC AACA Region website for regional info. Charlotte, NC also very active with AACA activities and will host SE Spring Nationals and Grand Nationals this spring in April. 2025 AACA Annual Convention will also be in Charlotte next February. Finally , lots of AACA National leaders in the state beginning with our new president and several board members. Lots of rural, equestrian and agricultural areas in the state just outside the major cities (Charlotte, Raleigh-Durham) to enjoy driving your old cars as well as homes that allow carports and detached garages that are not within the boundaries of a HOA. If you look you can find them with the help of a good RE agent. Good luck and hope to see you in NC!

Edited by CChinn (see edit history)
  • Like 3

If you're moving there for work, how much of a commute do you want?

Raleigh, Cary, and Durham blur together. Along with surrounding Wake and Durham counties it's expensive to live there and I-40 is like a war zone certain times of the day. If you don't mind a 25 or so mile commute you can get away from Triangle high cost of living, maybe have some acreage and avoid HOAs.

• Like 3

Like stay in lower VA near Glenn? OK, that's too far to commute everyday.🤔

Everytime I drive through that I-85/I-40 area is lots of traffic, typically as bad as northern VA!

Go down there and visit at the times you will be driving and see for yourself how it stacks up to what you are used to. Then visit where you might like to live (at the times you will be home) and see  if it is quiet, or other criteria you need. People move here in the "country" and complain about country noises (gun fire, explosions, helicopters, etc).🤣 Others want police, sorry, only Sheriff and Deputies. Lots of great places to live in the area, investigate. 

And not to be morbid, but how are estates handled? NC has some very different estate rules compared to VA. Contact professional advice here. 

But you will be closer to Charlotte area, the old car mecca of the south!👍

2 hours ago, Frank DuVal said:

Like stay in lower VA near Glenn? OK, that's too far to commute everyday.🤔

You'd be surprised at the number of people who commute from here to Greensboro or Raleigh-Durham every day.

One neighbor is a Duke Hospital nurse, my cousin's wife works for an eye surgeon in Cary, another neighbor commuted to Raleigh every day for nearly 30 years. I know several people who commute Danville to Greensboro or here to Lynchburg every day too. At least an hour commute.

Work where the higher paying job is, live where cost of living is less. Priuses and other high gas mileage cars are popular here.

The Triangle is not a horrible place to live if you don't mind traffic or expensive housing.

2 hours ago, Frank DuVal said:

Everytime I drive through that I-85/I-40 area is lots of traffic, typically as bad as northern VA!

We hosted Oldsmobile Club Nationals in Greensboro in 1995. Host hotel was right beside I-40.

I guess those folks thought they were coming to Mayberry. They quickly found out they were in a Modern South boom town. Every afternoon between 3 and 5 traffic slowed to the "I-40 crawl". People asked if there was a wreck or something slowing down traffic. Nope. Just afternoon 40. And that was 29 years ago!

Where 40 and 85 are dualled between Hillsborough and Greensboro can really be horrific depending on time of day. The section in Greensboro where US29 and US 421 are also following that section is commonly called "Death Valley" by locals and truckers.

• Thanks 1