1962 lesabre rear spring specs

62Lesabre

Anyone out there have an old NAPA MOOG etc parts book that would show the spring specs for the rear springs on a full size Buick? I’d like to replace the rears and possibly find some that would lower it but can’t seem to find the specs. Thanks!

On the front page at www.eatondetroitspring.com, after you input the vehicle info, the next page which comes up is the springs they have available for the vehicle.  Including stiffness specs.  They might heven have option for a lower ride height, as they have them for increased ride height.

Be aware of the dynamics of lowering a coil spring car had the way it used to be done.  "Cutting coils" was for the ones where the bottom wire had a cut end, so cutting a coil would lower the car.  Others used a torch to heat the wire (installed in the car) so relax it so it would drop a bit.  MORE precision in how this was done in order that the car was level when finished.

A shorter coil spring usually becomes stiffer.  USUALLY.

With the car lower to the ground, you'll discover just how low it was to start with!  When you start scraping the frame on normal approaches to businesses and driveways.  With all of the ride height decrease being on the compression side of things, dips which did not bottom-out the suspension should now be slowed down for to prevent that.  Looks might be neater, BUT there can also be a set of new driving tactics adopted in order to maintain "the look".

Enjoy!

NTX5467

The second set of rear spring I bought for my '64 Riviera came from Coil Spring Specialties. It was too high with the first replacements of over the counter units.

The sprung weight on the rear of Buicks I have owned is quite low. I figured my disappointment with generic springs was due to some guy coming to work and winding up springs for the masses. I always hear the "Oh, they are high when put in and will come down in a couple of weeks" story. I never happened that way, on anything.

I had enough weight up front to use a set of MOOGs. I guess there was a fudge factor. The rear is sensitive. I chose the supplier I thought was going to do the more conscientious

job.

I am happy with the results.

• Thanks 1