Bosch 12 wire magneto WANTED

elepaqxo

I am looking for a Bosch 12 wire magneto. 
running condition or complete and rebuildable

12 minutes ago, elepaqxo said:

I am looking for a Bosch 12 wire magneto. 
running condition or complete and rebuildable

I believe the correct nomenclature for a mag running a two plug engine is a “twin spark” and the “dual” refers to a choice of the mag with an external coil option…….and thus you will need a switch and coil also.

Thus if I understand it correctly, and you also want the coil option, you want a six cylinder twin spark dual. They were probably made in two series, early style pre 1908 or so, then the later series with the more modern cap. The one above is what I was told as the early style. Landen B is more knowledgeable than I am on these units. In the end, just post the application…….a twin plug six is a big boy car…….so you’re not gonna find one on a shelf in a Ford T collectors stuff. It’s simply a component that will cost a fair amount of money. I hunted a unit for a four for 18 months. Saw them from 6-12k for a unit. Ended up buying one off the shelf from a friend where it sat for fifty years. Still, at a substantial discount, it was not cheap. So please ID the application and post a photo……..thanks, Ed.

• Like 1

Bosch terminology is a deep and mysterious subject!

I joke to friends about what I call the "twozies".

Bosch used about a dozen different words (i.e.  Duplex, dual, twin) and combinations of word and the number 2. They all were for different electrical systems.

Much of our word problems seem to come about because other early electrical manufacturers used the same words for their equipment that was different than Bosch.

Also the common public usage of words changed over time and was not consistent.

Yes a definitive description of what you are trying to do is of great help. I have even run afoul of a would be buyer of a magneto supplying a picture they thought was of what they needed to do!

Sometimes I can be kind of a stickler for using the Bosch terminology because I want to match the original literature and markings on the magnetos.

IMG_1396.jpg

IMG_1398.jpg

• Like 1

Just to offer my help, I do have some spare mags, including a Berling dual, two spark (six cylinder)

very rare, and a Bosch ZR4 dual, ( four cylinder) two spark as shown above. Both allow for dual

plugs which really help big T heads.

Johnny

Thanks to everyone . Going to check one around me ( East point Ga )area on Friday then i know what to do