Wildcat "375-E"

I'm writing an article for the Bugle magazine and have come across a 1960 LeSabre with the "375-E" decal on the air cleaner. I know this means it is a regular fuel/low compression version of the engine, but is it a 364 or a 401? Seems like I remember that the 401 was optional in the 1960 LeSabre, and 375 seems to be rather high torque rating for a regular fuel 364. So, is it a 401 or is it a 364?

Pete Phillips

Coast #3.JPG

Pete,  this may help you  ,ist photo look at powertrain options, then

id numbers near the bottom for the 2nd photo,  looks like its a 364ci.

but it is still  not easy to decide from what is said here.-----you decide--.

IMG_2384.JPG 375e.JPG

IMG_2385.JPG 375e.JPG

I thought the Invictas only had 401s. Since the Electra section says the engines were the same as the Invictas, the answer may be in what the Invicta section indicates. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, JohnD1956 said:

I thought the Invictas only had 401s. Since the Electra section says the engines were the same as the Invictas, the answer may be in what the Invicta section indicates. 

John  go to ,how rare is the 375 Wildcat,  january   2010,   here on our forum----you wrote in it as well. thank you.

• Like 1

Yep, looks to be conflicting. The information quoted in the other thread appears to be from a factory sales catalog for 61.  However, even that catalog indicates the Invictas only had 401's.  Since the source quoted here says the engines are the same as in the Invicta model, I still think one needs to know what the 1960 Invicta materials indicate. 

• Like 1