Bentley engine

Serj90it

It's from a MkIV...the immediate post war car. I think they were made from 1947 to about 1952. The later ones, known as the R Type, were a bit faster. It was the first car built by RR that came with a standard body. Until then, all RR & Bentley cars had coachbuilt bodies. As to what it's worth...I've no idea. Aside from being very well made, it's not a spectacular engine so unless someone had a MkIV that needed an engine (which is pretty unlikely) I've no idea what the market would be. Generally, the bodies fall apart much sooner than the mechanical parts. In fact, it's fairly common to scrap the bodies and build a fake "pre-war style" Bentley on the chassis. I doubt it fits anything else.

EDIT...It's also been polished up a bit. The valve cover, intake manifold and carbs were all enameled black when new. It's basically the same engine as used in the RR Silver Cloud I although in that case it had a single downdraft carb.

At one point in my youth I worked for a man that imported them. I'd fly to Newark, pick them up at the customs shed and drive them back to Mass. Some of them were in very poor shape...one had two of the three engine mounts broken and practically no exhaust. I had to drive with the sun roof open all the way back to be able to breath...and it was late September so it wasn't a "fun" experience. Another time I picked up an R type and wondered why everyone on Rt. 95 was going so slow...until I glanced at the speedo and realized I was doing nearly 100 mph. That car was in relatively good shape!

Edited by JV Puleo (see edit history)
  • Like 1