Make and model?

AHa

This picture is from the A L Riker family photo  album. I can see the two running board brackets are close together toward the center of the car, the dash board/ toe board is sloped toward the front of the car, and the front of the rear spring is outside the frame and the frame hangs off the spring in an underslung design. What is it?

I found another image of this car through google images. It was used in the 1915 silent film American Aristocracy but I am no closer to identifying it.

20240118_141912.jpg.61bb6df99d2c4253736a7bd68d6b16cf.jpg.6a28152b056e779da9bae3ca2150faff.jpg

Edited by AHa (see edit history)
  • Like 1

As the photo seems to have a relation with Riker and the movie car clearly has a resemblance to the Locomobile racers, it could be a 'light', chainless version of this car, possibly specially made for this movie. This is only a suggestion of course.

The car appears to have a 3/4 floating rear end from the size of the hubcap as opposed to the full floating of the Locomobiles, Mercers, etc. Also, the frame is flat; there is no kickup at the rear for the rear axle.

unknowncarimage.jpeg.a4e5f0584d4dea002b5906e6a6ef73ea.jpeg

I believe it is not a Stutz. Done in Stutz Bearcat style but too many wrong details.

In this early period there was a thriving business to re-body good chassis into sporty cars. Large towncars were shortened, wrecks were salvaged and a fire damaged touring body would get replaced with an economical pair of bucket seats. Often the identification of an unknown speedster like this yields make and year without a factory body stye.