packing for nut on water pump shaft

Fussed a bit with the water pump packing and think the new is a bit to big; checked against the old that I removed and have taken into account the old was compressed ,but still looks like the new is a bit to big. New stuff is1/8th but where can I find more new stuff? 

If you’re after a weird diameter beyond what those sources offer you’ll likely have to buy an old roll somewhere. I have seen two or maybe three different sizes of old original packing but I would wager that all the new stuff you can currently get is the same size as what you have. . I could be wrong 

Should have realized earlier, but there's a bit easier access to everything after removing the coil and plate holding it. Tired again but still pretty much. have the same results   Will try once more now that it's a little easier to do, but will have to wait because the high temp. here today is 23 with a low tonight of 5 tonight. Not as cold as some of you though, but this is North Alabama and the garage is not heated. I've e- mailed Rick Peterson about a shaft in case I need it, but his e- mail keeps getting kicked back. Any other source for s shaft?

1 minute ago, commander Dave said:

It wouldn't hurt for me to try 1 size smaller packing rope before getting another shaft. Thanks

Dave, I have some loosely entwined packing which can be peeled apart into individual strands of perhaps 1/16" (WAG off the top of my head).  If you PM me your address, I'll be happy to send you some, free.

17 hours ago, commander Dave said:

Stude Light; Do you have any contact info for Restoration Supply?  It wouldn't hurt for me to try 1 size smaller packing rope before getting another shaft. Thanks

https://restorationstuff.com/

Number is 800-306-7008