Old Cars Weekly: Looking for 1972 & 1973 Issues

jimm

I'm looking for someone who wants to part with old issues of Old Cars Weekly newspapers from 1972 and 1973, either complete years or random issues.  In the past I have posted "Wanted Old Cars Weekly" three times in what I thought was the correct section "Memorabilia...Printed Material".  I did not receive a single response from anyone wanting to part with old issues of Old Cars Weekly.  However, I have now found several posts in the general discussion from forum members who were giving them away free with no takers!  A couple of them said they disposed of them, dumping them in their recycle bins, since they could not find anyone willing to take them free, much less anyone wanting to buy them.  And these posts were six months and longer after I offered to buy them.  So, thought I try here in the general discussion.  I am willing to pay a modest amount plus of course shipping for back issues from 1972 and 1973.  I would be very happy to give them a good home as opposed to sending them to a landfill or recycling.  Please let me know if you have any you'd like to part with.  Thank you!

Edited by jimm (see edit history)

Posted (edited)

Thank you very much for the offer, but I already bought a set of "The Best of Old Cars Weekly" and unfortunately it did not feature the specific articles I am trying to find.  I don't recall the exact dates, but in 1972/1973 there were a couple of articles, I believe by Tim Howley, about an abandoned ranch in Novato, California.  Numerous cars were saved from the ranch, including early Lincolns and a couple of 1949/1951 Frazer Manhattan convertibles.  I visited the ranch several times myself over 50 years ago, and I have recently located a few of the vehicles that were removed.  Over the years I lost the article and would like to find another copy.  I have had no luck asking members to look through those issues to find the exact date.  One person suggested I write to the author, Tim Howley, to ask when they were published.  I tracked down his email and have written twice in the last year but received no answer.  He was involved in a Lincoln Club publication not too long ago, so it appeared that he was still around and active with vintage cars, but of course I can't be certain.  I'll just keep trying and hope to eventually find the articles.  Again thank you for your suggestion!

Edited by jimm (see edit history)

Back then Old Cars was monthly paper.   I too kept them and found no takers when the time came to move.   I did keep all 6 copies of "The Best of Old Cars' which fearured both monthly & weekly articles.  The first volume included articles 1971 to 1976.   The index in that Volume says Kaiser Manhattan was mentioned on page 258.  However page 258 was an article about sales literature.

So much for indexes.   Is that what you are looking for?   I didn't read it all, but didn't notice Kaiser Manhattan in what I did read.

If I find something, I can photograph it and email it to you.

On 1/7/2024 at 4:50 PM, jimm said:

I'm looking for someone who wants to part with old issues of Old Cars Weekly newspapers from 1972 and 1973...

If you do not need actually to own the copy,

the AACA Library in Hershey, Pa. likely can help you.

They probably have the years you seek.  AACA

members get a certain number of free hours of

research with their membership.  The library can

copy or scan the pages once they find them.

Their telephone number is (717) 534-2082.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

Thanks very much for all your good suggestions.  I appreciate your help.  Yes, I am an AACA member and called the number you listed John.  Spoke with a member of the library team who was very nice and said they'd be happy to look it up.  She thought it would take a few weeks, so if in the meantime anyone out there can shed light on what issues I should be looking for, or have these years for sale, I'd still be interested.  Would prefer to have an actual copy but just the info on the issue dates would be a big help.  And Paul, thank you very much for the offer to check your copies of "The Best of Old Cars Weekly", but I have those volumes already and have determined that they do not include the articles I am looking for.  Thanks again!