I am new to this site and have posted a few questions thus far asking for help in identifying several items as well as what models they may go to as well as time lines...everyone has been very helpful in which i am appreciative. I have been digging old dumps in the woods for about 35+ years...I collect and study old glass insulators as well as some bottles, i have come upon many car parts over the years and of course before the advent of the internet I relied on friends for identification of certain vehicle parts....many of those friends are gone now and i am not that computer or technology literate...so this site will be great for me or a friend of mine that digs also to get the help we need with our finds......here is a Champion Spark Plug sign that my friend found in a 1910s-20s dump.....does this sign seem to match up with the 1910s-20s time line of the other items coming from this dump?....

Eric

automotive-1.jpeg

It's actually a bit later Eric.  From the style of plug, I'd suggest 1930s, but pre-war most certainly.  These signs usually had the sign company name printed on a lower edge (most often the right). That part is unfortunately pretty well rusted away.  Looking at the edges of the sign and the way they are ramped, I'd say it's genuine.  It appears to be heavier than today's reproductions.

Terry

Edited by Terry Bond (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Thanks guys, I appreciate the replies so far..it definitely is original whatever the time frame....interesting Terry that you mention the 1930s..there were a few items that were coming out of this dump from the 30s and even as early as the 1880s but generally it is a 1910s-20s dump....is there still any value to such a sign in this condition at all?.....

Eric

Condition is everything and that one is pretty rough, but...it's still a nice wall hanger/decorator item and would look great on the wall of a den that was decorated resembling an old garage.  I've got  some of them and the stories about how they were recovered are often worth more then the object itself. 

Terry

• Like 1

Thanks again Terry, and i hear ya...I have broken insulators that i have found along the RR line from the 1870s..they are valued at zero dollars but you can not put a value on cool or history in that way...so I get what you're saying...thanks again for the reply I appreciate it....

Eric