1940 LaSalle Series 50 Technical Issue

Daniel Bowser

I need to have my original “Banjo” Steering Wheel restored after a recent failure of some of the banjo style steel rods. How do you get the Horn Button off without destroying it ? I can’t get the steering wheel off till the Horn Button is out of the way.

Thanks advance for your help.

Sincerely, Dan Bowser.

Stude light is right. Take note of the order in which the parts under the horn button are placed. There is a blowup picture in the shop manual of how it goes together if you forget. Also be gentle when removing the horn button. The three retaining tabs under it are fragile 80 year old plastic. 

The above comments are correct, but also disconnect your battery so the horn is not blowing the whole time.  Should one of the ears break off of the backing plate, I have reproduced them.

• Like 3

On 1/2/2024 at 8:09 AM, Daniel Bowser said:

I need to have my original “Banjo” Steering Wheel restored after a recent failure of some of the banjo style steel rods.

I've never seen failure of the rods but rather the old plastic breaking off of the rods.  If your rods are broken, you need to look for a different steering wheel to have recast.  1939 and 1940 LaSalle and Cadillac used the same steering wheel.  I have several cores in stock.

www.danddautomobilia.com

Thanks for everyone’s advise with my LaSalle steering wheel problems. I’d like to move on to getting the Steering Wheel replaced, but the Horn Button won’t come off. I press in the Button, turn to the Left or Right and it doesn’t come off. Any more advice would be appreciated.

Thanks, Dan Bowser.

Post your question on the Cadillac and Lasalle Club Forum. There is still a few guys on that forum with 1939- 1940 Cadillacs and Lasalles. 

2 hours ago, Daniel Bowser said:

Thanks for everyone’s advise with my LaSalle steering wheel problems. I’d like to move on to getting the Steering Wheel replaced, but the Horn Button won’t come off. I press in the Button, turn to the Left or Right and it doesn’t come off. Any more advice would be appreciated.

Thanks, Dan Bowser.

You can turn the horn button either way.  Press down on the center of the horn button with the heel of your hand as low as it will go and then twist your hand to the left (or right).  It will take less than 1/8 of a turn for it to clear the locking tabs.  Then release the pressure and it should pop up from the spring pressure.  Either you aren't pushing down far enough or turning the horn button far enough.

s-l1600 (3).jpg

s-l1600 (4).jpg

s-l1600 (6).jpg

s-l1600 (7).jpg

The '39-'40 Cadillac and LaSalle steering wheels have a step bend in the spokes so that the horn ring is not above the spokes.  Removing a spoke requires cutting the welds inside the hub and at the rim.  When new spokes are made, the bends must be perfectly in alignment, bent in a custom jig.  Then the spokes must be welded back in the hub and to the rim all while held in alignment in a jig so that the hub is perpendicular to the rim.  Again, not impossible, but I would recommend finding another steering wheel at less cost than replacing the spokes for this steering wheel.

I very much appreciate all the help, from all of you that took the time to respond. 
The Horn Button is finally removed. It turns out it was “Glued” on. Now I can proceed to removing the Steering Wheel.

Are there any aftermarket steering wheels that I could utilize until I get a refurbished original ?

Thanks, Dan Bowser.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Daniel Bowser said:

Are there any aftermarket steering wheels that I could utilize until I get a refurbished original ?

Your steering wheel is most likely an 18" diameter steering wheel.  The large diameter gives you the leverage to turn the steering wheel so you need to replace it with an 18" steering wheel.  A smaller wheel will be very hard to turn, but may work if you only need one to move it in the garage and not drive it.  I recast steering wheels and have several unrestored 1939-40 Cadillac and LaSalle steering wheels that I can recast on an exchange basis or supply for the customers use during the recasting time.  Contact me and we can discuss.

www.danddautomobilia.com