Fog Lamp Bulb/options?

Guest wally888

Guest Greg Ross

Wally,

You want to be careful here, there may be several bulbs with the same base/ harness plug connector, but...

You've got to check the rated "Wattage" of the bulb. We've got Plastic Lens and Plastic housings that won't necessarily go afire but certainly will discolor with use and time.

Greg

Wal-mart has the best price on them $6.10

for the 881 and the 890 for the turn signal. Buy an extra.

The 889 (I think double Check) has and angle socket and the same wattage as the 890 . It is make it easilier to replace the turn signal with out taking the lense out. DON'T TOUCH THE BULB. WEAR WHITE COTTON GLOVES. They last about a week if you get a fingerprint on the glass.

I got some at a closeout for a buck but am about out.

Guest imported_Flash

Just replaced an 881 last night. Almost $9 at Murray's. Only the second I've replaced in 15 years.

There is an option. I don't have the numbers memorized but the fog light in the owners manual is probably 50 watts. If you go to 100watts you will probably melt the housing.

The option...the correct bulb has a shielded (painted) tip, those are used for fog lights. If you buy a bulb of the same wattage without the shielded tip, the lights will preform more like driving lights and you have not raised the wattage.

Guest wally888

Thanks Barney. I bought an 881 today, $9 at Adv. Auto but will explore the suggestion.

Old people need all the light they can git!

I believe the stock lights are 27.5 watts. They are really a poor excuse for a fog light, but they do make an okay daytime running light. Padgetts solution is a better one if you want a real useful light.

Guest EDBS0

PIAA makes a wide variety of "super bulbs" with various rare gasses and elements that produce more light with less temperature.

I use their bulbs in the 96 Riv and they are fantastic and run cooler than the stock bulbs.