New model 26s owner

Dsweld

I’m new to the prewar world and I bought a 1928 model 26s. I am looking forward to getting it running and driving this spring. I do need some parts though mainly wood for the roof. I’ve searched but nothing seems to come up for kits. Does anyone have a source or build them. I also need a hood as mine didn’t come with one. Other than that I believe it to be complete. Any help would be great thanks.

IMG_3360.jpeg

IMG_3361.jpeg

• Like 6

Welcome to the forum.  Sorry to break the bad news, but there are no roof kits for these cars.  Study the roof structure closely and hopefully you can replicate the wood.  Or use products like 
Rot Doctor" to restore some of the wood.  Do not use Oak.  It is too brittle.  Originally it was something like ash in the day.  Poplar or birch is close and more readily available.  See Bob Bitowski's photo as it looks pretty straightforward.  You should be able to find a "how to" on the forum.   

Hugh  

IMG_18201.JPG.b37dc842b1674ab6c93ef15ace380e80.JPG

• Like 2

I have some wood parts previous owner had given to me for the roof. I have not gone through them yet. I do need a hood or bonnet depending on who you talk too. I have a model a hood but I’d rather not have to fabricate it to fit. I read somewhere about some one with cnc that was thinking about making kits for the Buicks. I would definitely buy one just to simplify things. I appreciate any help I can get. I hope maybe this weekend I’ll have time to check over the drivetrain and maybe get it to fire. Previous owner had it turn over but no starting it. Thanks 

• Like 1

See the Feb 16 posting regarding starting an engine that has sat for many years. For the 4 hood pieces, 1925/26/27 Buick Standard model 20 series should all share the same hood.  Not sure if 1928 falls into this bunch.  Maybe someone can chime in as it is easier to find if a part works for multiple years.  You should get a book of parts and determine all of the missing pieces.  Some parts take a long time to find and sometimes it's best just to fabricate new parts.    

Hugh

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I had a chance tonight finally to go out in storage and put some antifreeze in the car. I know it was empty when I received it so I just wanted to get an idea of any leaks if any. Well it leaked. Bad. It looks like the head gasket or possibly block.  Not good either way. It’s not running yet and there doesn’t seem to be any coolant in base. Here’s some pics of underneath the intake. Maybe someone can confirm this thanks. 

IMG_3640.jpeg

IMG_3641.jpeg

• 1 month later...