Carter W-1 ID application

pont35cpe

Google

Use this search string

thecarburetorshop.com carter w-1 298

This search, with the carb manufacturer, type, and number as necessary may be used to identify 99.9 percent of the carburetors used in the USA from 1932 to 1974.

A modified search will get applications from 1903 through 1931, but the percentage is less.

Jon

• Like 2

1935 Pontiac Eight, early. I recall seeing somewhere in Pontiac's own literature that there was a change during the run. It was probably to add an anti-percolation valve, and Carter's parts list seems to back that up.

Carter's 1940 index says 298s for engine 1026 and up, and 315s for engine 12007 and up. That's ambiguous, but I'll speculate that 298s was used on 1026-12006, and that 315s adds an anti-percolation valve. Carter had superseded both to 414s by 1940. Without digging any deeper, I am going to speculate that 414s is a WA-1, not a W-1.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Bloo - going to slightly disagree (semantics).

The 315s did supersede the 298s. I have no record of the 414s superseding the 315s.

The 414s, and its sister the 413s were a different story for Carter.

By 1940, dealers were clamoring for the same coverage, but less actual inventory. The 414s/413s were universal WA-1 carbs. Slotted throttle bodies, so they could replace either S.A.E. size 2 or size 3 carburetors. Main venturi was 1 1/4 inch. Carter got away with it because LOTS of sixes and small eights in the 1930's had 1 3/16, 1 1/4, and 1 5/16 inch venturii.

Both the 414s (auto choke), and 413s (manual choke) were WA-1 carbs.

If one looks in the Carter Master carburetor price and supersession list printed in 1942, one will find the 315s is still in production and priced.

However, if one looks in the aftermarket sales cataloges of that period, the listing would show the 315s with the notation that the 414s could also be used.

The 413s/414s continued to be produced, and some time in the 1950's the 1949 and 1950 Pontiac six carbs 717s and 718s WERE superseded by 413s and 414s.

I don't have it digitized, and too lazy to look for it, but somewhere I have what memory says is a 5 page list of applications where the 413s/414s could be used.

Jon

• Like 2

I got that 414s bit from an old Carter sheet dated 1940. On second look, it is a Canadian sheet, apparently for US models though, since some of the other sheets with it specify Canadian models. It is also a 1946 reprint. They probably altered that later for the reprint. The superseded carbs (413s, 414s) are in the column the price should be in.

My engine number is(i guess an upper case i is a 1) 10232, so 298s is the original carburetor?  It has an Climate Controlled automatic choke, with what looks like a flexible  cable housing that has been cut. Did this originally pick up heat from the backside of the exhaust manifold? This is from a Canadian built Pontiac, its missing the metal top cover, i have a Chevy W-1 i could rob the cover from. Not so sure about the flex housing.

DSCN6234.JPG

That might not be cut. Have a good look at your exhaust manifold. That looks like the same tubing used on my 1936 Master Six. I don't recall if it is truly flexible, or if it is armor over bundy tubing. Either way, it can rust out and break right at the manifold and I suspect that is what has happened here. If so, you can probably fashion a little tip or sleeve from bundy tubing to repair it, maybe even invisibly.

The method the tube attaches to the choke housing end is different from my 36, but at the exhaust manifold end it might very well be the same. From 1936 through the end of flathead production, the manifold end connections (choke stoves) are all the same. I suspect 1935s with automatic choke are the same too, but I am not sure.

On 1936 and later, there is a dead air space where the exhaust passages in the manifold turn down in the center, but the top of the exhaust manifold is flat. There is a plate with 2 air intake holes attached to the inside with 2 machine screws to cover the airspace. It is located between the exhaust manifold and the block where it is hard to see. In the top of the manifold there is a hole that goes to the dead air space. The little tube presses in that hole, and draws hot air (not exhaust) from there.

Yes. That's the same setup as all the rest. Thanks for confirming. Too bad the flex tube won't reach the little hole up on top of the manifold. In the pics it looks like it would almost do it. How does it attach at the carb end?

I'm pretty sure ordinary bundy tubing will work. When installed, the tube is not straight, there is a bit of an "S" bend, so expansion/contraction shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Jon, i haven`t got my other W-1`s out of storage, wherever i stashed them. I`ll find them later today. I do have one for a `35 Chevy Master 6cyl(missing brass tag), and 2 more for`35 Pontiac 8cyl. I also have a couple `41 Pontiac carbs, not sure of the make, but think are single throated.. Thank you..

Edited by pont35cpe (see edit history)