Leather Cone Clutch Resurfacing Recommendations?

MrLiken

Hello all,

I will update the status of my engine problems back on the original thread, but the engine is out. 

Years ago, I had the clutch relined locally (San Diego) with Kevlar material.  I have to say that during the past few months, the gears have never shifted better.  Upon removing the engine, I found that about 1/4 of the Kevlar material had broken off.  Maybe that's why it shifted so well??

I am now looking for referrals, to send my cone clutch to for relining with leather.  I am told there was a fellow in Orange, CA (Bob Knaak) that did leather relining, but I am unable to reach him.  Probably no longer in business.  Any suggestions are appreciated.

• Like 1

Saw this online, I have no experience with them:

https://fortwayneclutch.com/product/cone-clutch-14-5-cone-clutch-relining-refurbishing-labor-cone-clutch-rebuilder/

It will help if you have specifications on the thickness of the original leather material when it was new.  If the rebuilder installs leather that is too thick, the clutch may not release.

• Like 4

On 10/19/2023 at 1:51 PM, MrLiken said:

Hello all,

I will update the status of my engine problems back on the original thread, but the engine is out. 

Years ago, I had the clutch relined locally (San Diego) with Kevlar material.  I have to say that during the past few months, the gears have never shifted better.  Upon removing the engine, I found that about 1/4 of the Kevlar material had broken off.  Maybe that's why it shifted so well??

I am now looking for referrals, to send my cone clutch to for relining with leather.  I am told there was a fellow in Orange, CA (Bob Knaak) that did leather relining, but I am unable to reach him.  Probably no longer in business.  Any suggestions are appreciated.

Great news for me here.  Bob Knaak is still relining and was just out on tour.  I was able to reach him by email.  Keep all updated on progress.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 10/19/2023 at 1:51 PM, MrLiken said:

Hello all,

For me, anyway, the AACA forum is a constant source of information, regarding old cars, from the soldiers on the front line of vehicle possession and restoration. I will never own a 1915 DB Touring with a cone clutch.

But I do have a transmission with, what I have been told, is part of a cone clutch attached.

This is a curious device which whets the appetite for more knowledge concerning its use and mechanics.

While you have it out, and possibly disassembled, would you please post some photos of a complete cone clutch with a brief explanation of how it works?

Hi Jack,

This is an example of a cone clutch plate from a 1915 DB.

IMG_0882.jpeg.165f2d65e1b1fa1a17aa22dcbd0e1261.jpeg

This is a diagram (not Dodge Brothers) of a complete unit to show how it works, simply in and out faced with the inside of the tapered (cone shaped) flywheel.

IMG_0881.jpeg.7c2773aaa696c3f98bd7c9ea32c41abb.jpeg

• Like 3

That’s what these forums are all about Minibago.
Thanks for the response and helpful information. 
I am a member of a few clubs which are dedicated to the restoration and collection of old machinery, and they do provide a wealth of information.

But, behind the neatly typed, and meticulously organized, reams of information, some good, some not so good, there is a human being which possesses a million more bits of information, and first hand knowledge, for whom the the forum was organized. 
And I still like that human interface in the same manner as I dislike Dykes Encyclopedia in that I can have a discussion with another human, but printed media is a one way communication.

As with every other facet of my many faceted life though,I tend to pay more attention to the things with which I am involved in at the minute, or have a momentary infatuation with something I can’t quite put a finger on.

I don’t, and probably never, will own a vehicle with a cone clutch, but that doesn’t mean I don’t want, or need to know more about them.

My appetite for more information regarding the cone clutch grew the day I brought the 1929 Fargo Express panel home for the first time, and I discovered the transmission in its bed neither fit my truck, or any other truck I’d ever seen.

This occurred only a month ago, and prior to that time a 1915 DB cone clutch ranked among chariot wheels and ox cart maintenance as a matter of immediate concern.

I will never use either the transmission, or the attached cone clutch. However, as with anything else which weighs a ton and will need to be dragged around as long as I own it, I like to know as much about the cadaver I’m having to drag around as possible.

And, now, thanks to the information you’ve afforded me, if you want the transmission and clutch, and are willing to pay the shipping to get it, it is a matter of respect when I tell you what the clutch ISN’T, and while you can have it, you’ll be wasting your time and money to get it.

IMG_1871.jpeg

IMG_1869.jpeg

IMG_1863.jpeg

Edited by Jack Bennett (see edit history)
  • Like 1