Timing light inductance clip >> small plug wires

Hans3

Does anyone produce an adapter to allow modern, standard timing lights to work better with thinner s-plug wires for the inductance clip? My modern timing light's clip seems too large and frequently fails to detect the spark; other t-lights seem to have the same clip style. Powering it from a standalone 12V as the car is 6V. Alternately are there t-lights designed specifically for thin s-plug wires?

It sounds to me like the inductive pickup is not very sensitive.  Try moving the inductive pickup closer to the distributor cap; maybe that will help.  You could also try getting a solid (wire) core spark plug wire to use with the timing light in place of the normal number 1 plug wire.

Sounds like a weak spark.  Might want to check the coil.  Is it a 6 volt coil for a 6 volt system, or is it possibly a 12 volt coil on a 6 volt system.  Or maybe a bad / weak coil.

I use my 70's timing light on a 6 volt teens vehicle with no problem.  Just hook up the timing light to a 12 volt battery.

Just a thought.

Edited by Larry Schramm (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Thinness of the spark plug wire is a non-issue for the timing light's inductive clip. You may need a better timing light.

I have had issues with digital dialback timing lights just locking up and refusing to work on 6 volt cars, apparently due to just too much electrical noise. Buttons wont respond, gibberish on display, etc. Is that what is happening? In this case a simple light with no functions connected to a 12v battery got the job done for me. I used to use an extremely cheap 80s Sears Craftsman light for this.

If it just won't trigger, I would find a different light. Every now and then though, there is some car that just won't trigger the light reliably. It isn't the thickness of the insulation on the wires. As I recall, 6mm wires on old Alfa Romeos were not ever a problem. You could try widening the gap maybe an extra .010 on a spare spark plug and putting it in cylinder #1 just for timing. That might work.

You didn't mention the make and model. I assume a Buick of some sort. The advice above is for a standard points ignition. If you have something early and weird like a magneto, or Atwater Kent Unisparker, or buzz coils... all bets are off.

• Like 3