1939 Chrysler Straight-6 Timing

MercMontMars

(My distributor actually turns clockwise, I’ve been trying counter clockwise orders.. gonna see if that makes a difference.)

Hi there, I’m finally at the stage with my 1939 Chrysler Windsor project where I can try the motor. The carburetor is rebuilt and pumping fuel, and the distributor is getting spark at the points. Only thing im having trouble with now is my timing. I set up the firing order 153624 according to a diagram I found but when I try it the motor turns about 2/3 times, puffs a little smoke from the exhaust then a big POOF comes from the carburetor. Not really sure what’s going on, seems like it might be firing on the exhaust stroke? I’ve never tinkered with one of these old straight 6 motors before so I’m not sure what to do from here. Getting fuel, getting air, getting spark, just having trouble with the timing/firing order. I’m pretty sure the order goes counter clock wise as well.

P.S I tried feeling for where the 6th cylinder’s TDC is and marking my no. 1 that way, but the rotor seemingly just pointed at the ground.

Thank you for any help!

IMG_4062.jpeg.27b21117f457cc9273858d8fd1cf3c65.jpeg

Edited by MercMontMars (see edit history)

Are you remembering that 1 and 6 are at TDC at the same time. Is 1 on firing stroke when the timing is set?  You have to pull the plug and hold your thumb on the hole to know when its on compression. 

@Oldtech Yes, I currently have the motor in TDC validated by the thumb test on no.1. This put my rotor at a perfect 12 o clock position, does this mean that is my number one on the distributor? I’ve also been doing the firing order VERY wrong, I read in another forum post that the order went counter clockwise but my rotor turns clockwise. Haven’t tried it yet with a clockwise set order so hopefully this does it.

IMG_4067.jpeg.8ec65effe7f7cea422ad72fb9f1cd502.jpeg

Yes. If you are on the timing mark for top dead center the rotor is pointing at No. 1 wire. You have to make everything else match. Position the distributor to where the points have just barely opened, Rotor going clockwise. Install #1 wire at this position. Follow the firing order around, and it should start. 

• Like 1

I agree with Oldtech. Just be sure you haven’t put your plug wires 180 degrees out like I did! (Rookie’s mistake.) As for 6 volt starters, they never failed back in the day, at least in terms of speed. I did read on a comment in Hemmings that Chrysler Corp starters had trouble, especially in cold weather. I don’t know if this is true or not. This doesn’t go for you though, you’re starter is going to need a bit more work. Good luck! 

• Like 1

@57Classic Probably already done that, once.. twice.. okay maybe more than that. 😅 

Apparently the starter isn’t original to the car so I ordered an exact fit Massey Fergusson tractor starter. Should do the job, the old starter would be more of a pain to fix than it’s worth.

Edited by MercMontMars (see edit history)