Brake accumulator riser tube removal

miggytosh

Here is another picture of Hemi, note the wrench on the riser and against the wheel well to keep the riser from rotating.  Insert the Allen wrench before clamping on the vise grips as tight as possible.  The Allen wrench can spin in the socket of the accumulator and the vise grips stop that from occurring.  Otherwise, you will have to remove the riser and accumulator. 

Accumulator 2A.JPG

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MERRILL said:

I saw Hemi do this when I was to the TC Convention in Tucson and replaced  my accumulator using this method.

See Hemi I was paying attention !!

Merrill Nelson

I hope more people will pay attention. And now you live in Canada?  WOW!

Hemi, I was born in Canada about 2 years after you were born and have always lived in New Brunswick Canada.

Over the years I have replaced the convertible top, complete dash replacing the dried up one, recovered the seat leather and replaced the timing belt and leaking camshaft seals,  and fuel regulator on the V6 motor.

None of these repairs were a surprise as the TC is well over 20 years old and the seller noted the seats and dash in his e bay add. 

The TC is red with black interior and a black top and was built in April 1990.

Merrill Nelson

Edited by MERRILL
to add a comment that I forgot, none of those repairs were a surprise as it is that is well over 20 years old. (see edit history)

Thank you for your reply. The club thanks you for coming all the way to Tucson for one of our annual conventions. We were a lot younger then!
It is also a commendable that you have done all that interior leather repair as well as all the maintenance on the rest of the car over the years.

And, thank you for continuing to be a member of the TCA Owners Club.

Hemi I will be sending money order tomorrow after I get at the bank.

I bought the top from a man in Vegas on e bay and the complete dash on this forum the seller said that it was "mint" and it was near perfect, I had already bought a ginger dash from "Car Chick" Stephany Swope just after I bought the TC the instrument cluster cover and defroster vent section from others and had then dyed black which was not as good as the one I bought.

Boy did I ever think about If I wanted to the agony of replacing the dash assembly for the second time.

After my 75 year old knees and back pain went away I am glad that I did it 🙂

Merrill Nelson

Thanks for all of the responses on this!

I was able to get the accumulator off attached to the riser but then had to figure out how to separate the two. I ended up putting penetrating oil on the seam, letting it sit and the using a vise to hold the riser tube, vise grips at the top of the accumulator, and a breaker bar to separate the two. With a little patients and leverage it finally broke free. 

Bad news is that the replacement accumulator was wrong and now I need to order another one (hopefully they send me the right part this time). Once I get that it should be easy-peasy to get back on.

@Garnet & Gold I read on this forum and the Reatta forum that the WABCO STC2784 should work and ordered it. I got the ATI "equivalent" from FCP Euro. Turned out it had a larger diameter threaded nipple than the original and I didn't want to rethread the riser and likely weaken it. I ordered a different one that was also WABCO STC2784 and visually matches the nipple size/tapper. I had actually ordered the second one before but returned it when I almost returned the car from where I purchased it (another story) and I remember that side by side the part looked like it had the correct nipple/thread size. I do wish the part details would verify the actually size so fingers crossed that it is 14MM x 1.50 which is the correct size/threads for OEM. I'll update the thread after I get it and hopefully install it.