1948 DeSoto Philco radio. Is Bluetooth possible?

marcapra

I have a rebuilt Philco radio that came with my 48 DeSoto.  Of course it's AM only and six volt positive ground.  My question is can I put a small Bluetootch adapter on it?  I just put a Bluetooth adapter on my amplifier in my home and I love it.  But you have to plug the adapter into a 120 volt outlet.  So I'm somewhat doubtful if I can put Bluetooth on my auto radio.  

Looks like several people on Youtube have already addressed this issue.  A bluetooth amplifier is available cheap from Amazon and six volts is enough to power it.  It doesn't care about positive or negative ground either.  You just have to power it from your ignition, and then wire the speaker to one of the speaker inputs.  Then, play music from your smart phone.  

Edited by marcapra (see edit history)
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Frank DuVal said:

Would you need to reduce the 6.3 volts coming from my battery?  It says that receiver takes only 5 volts.  

From what I've read on the bluetooth receiver questions and answers, you can't run this on an old 6 volt radio with only one speaker.  Looks like the Bluetooth amp is the way to go as the videos prove it works.  

??? Of course one can. You combine the Left and Right signals into one mono signal. I do it all the time.

5 volt regulators are also available for the small current draw of this receiver.  Here is an (oops I mean 5 pieces, you only need one) example:

https://www.amazon.com/Regulator-DROK-Converter-Step-Down-Transformer/dp/B0758ZTS61?source=ps-sl-shoppingads-lpcontext&ref_=fplfs&smid=AFHAE9RJVUMB&th=1

The Desoto is positive ground, so you will need to isolate the ground of the receiver from the ground of the radio. The two would normally be connected together through the shield of the audio cable, but you need to use capacitors to connect the two instead of the shield of the coax.

Yes, one needs some electronics background to connect these parts together.

And there are more deluxe Bluetooth receivers with FM, AUX, SD card too. 

https://www.amazon.com/fosa-Bluetooth-Decoder-Lossless-Display/dp/B07LG566DS/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=bluetooth+receiver+FM+aux+module+5+volt&qid=1697253059&sr=8-4

I recently sent my radio to Gary Tayman in Sarasota Florida. He rebuilds the radio, Now I can do Am,Fm, Usb, and Bluetooth. My car is 6 volt, Gary put a votlage converter, 6 to 12 volt. The Aurora card needs 12 volt. You send your radio to him. Turn around time was 3-4 weeks. Gary advertises in all the auto magazines like Hemmings. 

Check it out! Well worth it!

• Like 1

If you are speaking of the Aurora conversion, that conversion removes ALL of the original parts inside the radio, installs a new "radio" inside the old case that runs on 12 volts. Then Gary (or any of the other people who do these conversions) adds a 6 volt either polarity converter to go from the 6 volt car system to the internal 12 volt needs. So, yes, it works on positive ground 6 volt cars.

I think of it as the LS1 with 6 or more speed transmission conversion. Drive it anywhere, listen to anything. :lol: Maybe they should add a vibrator hum input for background noise like it should  sound! 😉

Since it's really easy to put in a bluetooth receiver and power it with wire to the ign. switch, I think I would rather keep my old Philco radio original and add a little bluetooth receiver on the side going to two small speakers.  and maybe put a toggle switch in to go back and forth to the old radio and to the bluetooth.  

• Like 1