Grease cap with flying dove - what brand

Jensen 541

6 minutes ago, TexRiv_63 said:

I have been trying to pin this one down for years, where did you find info? Is this a factory design or aftermarket?

I started by Googling "Falcon-Knight hub cap photo" and saw the cap in question. It has been identified as Oakland, but I cannot be absolutely certain that they are correct.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

One other person on ebay said they thought it was an aftermarket design. You'd think that the Falcon-Knight design would be the same as the radiator emblem shown below. The bird in flight is a good one to do and extensive search on, perhaps the AACA Library can shed light on it. I really like the Falcon Knight badge in bakelite relief.

Best Wishes.

Brass Falcon Knight Emblem.png

Falcon Knight Badge Relief .png

• Like 2

On 10/2/2023 at 12:10 PM, keiser31 said:

I started by Googling "Falcon-Knight hub cap photo" and saw the cap in question. It has been identified as Oakland, but I cannot be absolutely certain that they are correct.

Your results are the same that I have found in the past. I have found that Worthpoint is not a reliable source as they just repeat what the consigner says. I also have seen references to an "Oakland Bluebird" car model but never any reliable backup. I have a few of these caps but do not want to sell them without a legit ID.

• Like 2

I've found quite a few Oakland advertisements with the eagle, but again, nothing 100% to indicate the hubcaps were of this design. 

I'm thinking a time period photo that shows them clearly would be about the only thing that would prove it outside of a salesman booklet of some kind or maybe a confidential bulletin.

1928-OAKLAND-Ad-Lg-Mag-3.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You're right. The shape of the hubcap is exactly like this late 20'es Oakland cap. !   (and early Pontiac, only they are slightly smaller) 

I don't think it is from a Falcon Knight though. The only Falcon Knight cap i know of, is in the exact same shape as the other Willys brands, Whippet, Overland, Willys Knight, and with the letters "FALCON" I am quite certain that we can rule that one out. 

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction :) 

Oakland.jpg

• Like 2

QUOTE I don't think it is from a Falcon Knight though. The only Falcon Knight cap i know of, is in the exact same shape as the other Willys brands, Whippet, Overland, Willys Knight, and with the letters "FALCON" I am quite certain that we can rule that one out. 

fal3188.jpg

• Like 1