Unique 1960 Starliner?

Ok, let the tales and head scratching begin. I have an incredibly ORIGINAL 1960 Ford Starliner. 14K orig miles, 352 4bbl, Cruise-O-Matic. The vaunted HiPo variant has to have a select number of features which are proprietary. If my research bears correct it must have the following:

3" Front brakes

Heavy duty front suspension with larger sway bar (mine is 1.25!).

⅜ fuel line.

Electric wipers.

Manual brakes.

VIN codes 'Y' eng, '1' trans, and blank axle code. 

HD shocks and front coils.

I have all of that on this car, and nothing has been changed or altered. 

What it doesn't have:

3" driveshaft, 5 leaf springs, front brake line at the core support, and a 360HP 352 with a manual trans. 

Save your comments about attempted conversion, etc. This is an unmolested car. The VIN is crystal clear on the top of the frame and matches the door jamb tag. The engine is original and codes and dates as it should. At some time in it's life someone was going to make it a "full power" car to include windows, seat, brakes and steering. That was never finished (thankfully) and the engine never had a power steering pump, but they did put a new control valve in the steering. The fender well shows it never had power brakes. Car is black, red interior, and stunning original paint over a ZERO RUST EVER body. 

So let the debate begin, as to WTH is this? It also has 14X6 wheels vs the 15" which are reportedly for HiPo cars. My guess is that it's a cop, municipal, state or fed car. An Atlanta build if that lends any additional ideas, and there is an oil change sticker from 71 in a place in Cumming, GA, not far from "shine" country so, revenuers? This should be fun. Topics are worthless without pics so here's a teaser. Enjoy...

20230819_113809.jpg.0a15c99b0ec3cf68fd98be1f58facca0.jpg20230819_113828.jpg.70c18c70fadf0057a7521430d3debe04.jpg20230819_113625.jpg.20061edf879d3073c601c7f90af85a57.jpg

• Like 1

According to the 1960 Ford Police and Emergency  Vehicles sales brochure the police package was only available on Fairlanes and station wagons. It was probably  possible to order police package options on other  models in order to make a sale.    The 3/8 fuel line is puzzling.    I'm not sure but I   believe the HIPO option was available late  in the model  year.   What is  the build date of your car?  Maybe an assembly line mistake or an aborted HIPO order?   Did Ford offer  a towing package in  1960?  Do  you know any of the history of this car?  Is that a  Michigan  license  plate?  Maybe the car was  originally put into service as a factory test  mule.  By the  way, great car.  It is  almost impossible to find any 1960  Ford with no rust,  in beautiful  original unrestored condition, much less a Starliner!  Congratulations on your find.  It will be interesting to follow the discussion  generated by this  post.

Build date is 08C, March 8th. Hard too know when the car came to MI ( my state ). A local Starliner enthusiast was thinking law enforcement or some civil duty, but also floated the idea of a production "mistake" (as in Clem and Leo built the wrong car) or that civil cars may have gone on HiPo platforms. Somebody might shed light yet. 

• 2 weeks later...

If that car has Power Steering, I have some *** N.O.S. *** O.E.M. FOMOCO ***

Power Steering Pressure Hoses…. Fits one year only —- 1960 — ALL —- ONLY ……

$ 40 + the ride —- less expensive than to make one with the new stupid - looking fittings !!!

Always best to simply call me —- 516 - 485 - 193five —— Craig….

I was researching those 360 horsepower 352s back in the mid 80s, because of an ambiguous 1960 Sunliner I owned. No internet then, and though I recognize some things in your list, it sounds like you have already found out more than I did back then.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/18/2023 at 3:23 PM, Bloo said:

I was researching those 360 horsepower 352s back in the mid 80s, because of an ambiguous 1960 Sunliner I owned. No internet then, and though I recognize some things in your list, it sounds like you have already found out more than I did back then.

Look at my post on 2005 Mustang Wayne.

• 2 months later...

Could have been originally owned by a Ford employee who spec'd those odd items it's equipped with.  

Not uncommon for higher-level corporate staff to change things a bit, and walk it down the assembly line.

Craig