1937 Buick temperature gauge info required

furballx

Hello everyone,

My new 1937 Special sedan arrives mid next week and the first issue I need to look at is the temp gauge.

I plan to install a temporary gauge while the genuine one is off being re-built.

Can anyone help with the following info so I can order the correct (temporary) gauge to use while my genuine gauge is off being re-conditioned?

1) Diameter and number of threads per inch of the sender plug (so I can order an adapter if I need one for the unit I buy).

2) approximate length of the sender.

I just want to be sure to sure I order the correct gear online as these gauges are not as easily sourced from parts retailers here in Australia.

Thanks if you can help.

Dave

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, 1937-44 said:

I don't know if this makes sense but here goes.

Length about 46 inches

Diameter is by my calculations 5/8's of an inch but the sending unit is somewhat squared off

Thread appears to be 18 per inch   NF?

Carl

All helpful Carl, thanks very much.

The sender length I was referring to is the length of the plug in the head.

I saw on Youtube video of a bloke that broke it off in the head because it was too ling and he over tightened it 🥴

Dave

Not the same, but I am going to be shopping for an infra-red heat sensor gun.  It will have multiple uses, plus with the cold weather coming, I think it is time to experiment with some manifold cooking on a tour!