Buick 1940 turn signal surprise ??

daniel boeve

As of this moment i am working on my 1940 Super , i see there are no turn signal indicators in the front or rear .In the front I only have the sealed beams and the parking lights on top of the fenders or are these  the turn indicators in the front ?.The rear nothing ...until today i see on Ebay that the red buick eight covers on the trunk are used as turn signals  .I see this little handle under the steering wheel and is this the turn indicator ?? I have to ask down here if I can use turn indicators so close to each other .Under my red glasses on the trunk I find nothing there ( no lamp housings )I guess i will put two extra lamps under the rear bumper and use these as turn indicators and in the front I will put lamp housings  in with 2 functions -parking and flasher .Up to next surprise ...

If it's like the '41, the parking lights have dual-filament bulbs and act as both parking lights and turn signals.  The lever for the turn signals in on the right-hand side of the steering column.  I don't know about the rear turn signals in 1940.

On all 1940 models, the front turn signals were in the parking lights on top of the fender.  The rears, as you found, were on the trunk lid, under the Buick Eight plastics.  You should be able to find remnants of where wires should have led to the rears, under the trunk lid.  I would think exports would have still been the same.

7 hours ago, neil morse said:

If it's like the '41, the parking lights have dual-filament bulbs and act as both parking lights and turn signals.  The lever for the turn signals in on the right-hand side of the steering column.  I don't know about the rear turn signals in 1940.

Strange , i found a one filament bulb on top of the fender so there was no parking light or no turn indicator in the front .As i thought the lever was for the turn indicator .Thanks

4 hours ago, Century Eight said:

On all 1940 models, the front turn signals were in the parking lights on top of the fender.  The rears, as you found, were on the trunk lid, under the Buick Eight plastics.  You should be able to find remnants of where wires should have led to the rears, under the trunk lid.  I would think exports would have still been the same.

My car came from the US years ago .It has new wiring and no wires on the trunk lid ..but i will put 2 little lamps under the bumpers for safety .As said the 40 had no parking lights then as i found a single filament on top of the fender .Thanks for your help .

If you have access to any car ‘’39 or newer, you should be able to find what the wires look like .  Front signals didn’t start until 1940.  Having a shop manual, body manual or wiring diagram are are always good to have.  They can be found as reprints, originals, and sometimes possible as discs i think.  

LED lights are brighter.  The lights on the trunk are adequate, and there all sorts of aftermarket options the hot rod guys use to conceal under the rear bumper.  I haven’t found one I like yet for a convertible.  They have lots of good options for a closed car however in the back window.