Wanted -- 66 Buick Rear CV Joint

jrbartlett

For some reason, GM seemed to be on "a kick" to use two-piece driveshafts on everything they built in the 1960s.  From pickup trucks to all of their larger passenger vehicles.  While Ford and Chrysler did otherwise.

In one respect, there had to have been some cost savings OR a valid engineering reason to justify the additional costs (in production and in later lives of the vehicles).  Or might it have been related to the use of X-frames?  Yet no X-frames on their light-duty truck platform.

The center "double joints" were supposed to be about smoothness, as I recall, but in an otherwise smoooth body-on-frame vehicle which was already smoooooth by design?  Which gets back to "Must have been chasing some harmonics . . ." situation.   Seems like the new-for-1973 pickup trucks originally had two-piece shafts in them, which were later changed to single-piece shafts under warranty?

Some of the 1990s Camaro V-6s used a two-piece driveshaft, but the center joint was similar to the outer bearing on a fwd driveshaft, as I recall.  Must have been chasing some harmonic which was not there on the V-8 cars?

Enjoy!

NTX5467

The bearing is independent of the double joint.  Here is some close up stuff on my 62...the new custom shaft I had made just eliminated the double cardan joint.  So the front half of the driveshaft has the carrier bearing on it, and then after it, there is a yoke with a ujoint....then the second half of the shaft.  I looked for photos and couldn't find any.  This car defeated me in so many ways, I just wanted it gone.

• Thanks 1