Where did this dash come from?

JBro

First glance it looks GMC-ish, and the steering wheel has a GMC horn cap so that's my guess. GMC tach has been replaced as has what looks like water temp gage. I don't know if these dashboards were bolted in or welded in.

I see only one pedal. Is this a HydraMatic truck? The gas pedal looks like a 73-later GM truck piece.

4 minutes ago, rocketraider said:

First glance it looks GMC-ish, and the steering wheel has a GMC horn cap so that's my guess. GMC tach has been replaced as has what looks like water temp gage. I don't know if these dashboards were bolted in or welded in.

I see only one pedal. Is this a HydraMatic truck? The gas pedal looks like a 73-later GM truck piece.

It's definitely been hard welded at some point but I'm not sure if it was originally welded or not. As for the transmission it has a 3 speed hydramatic paired to a 500 big block out of a 70 Eldorado, that's why the firewall and gas pedal are so funky. 

8 minutes ago, The 55er said:

I'm thinking it's original to the van and it's supposed to be in there. 

That's what I thought originally also. It seems to fit good but I've looked around online and all the photos I've found of the 55-59 seem to have a triangle shaped instrument panel. This thing is kind of a Frankenstein's monster and has some funky stuff going on. 

Here's a 1957 GMC 100 pickup dash. Very similar.10322258-1957-gmc-pickup-thumb.jpgI'll go out on a limb and say the GMC Carryalls and panels also used this dash, and whoever put it in your Apache thought it looked cooler than the Chevrolet "vee" instrument cluster.

Or could be your "Apache" has had a Chevrolet front clip installed and is really a GMC. Can you find a data or serial plate?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, rocketraider said:

Here's a 1957 GMC 100 pickup dash. Very similar.10322258-1957-gmc-pickup-thumb.jpgI'll go out on a limb and say the GMC Suburbans and panels also used this dash, and whoever put it in your Apache thought it looked cooler than the Chevrolet "vee" instrument cluster.

This is 100% it! Thank you! I feel like an idiot now. I assumed it was a chevy because of the title and it just had a GMC steering wheel, I didn't realize GMC and Chevy used different dashes like that. 

GMC's heavy trucks probably used that dash too. Where the aftermarket tach is would have had a Diesel or gas tachometer, a vacuum gage, or an air brake pressure gage depending how the truck was equipped.

Back then, and up till 1967, there was a lot of difference between Chevrolet and GMC trucks. Each had its own engines and chassis engineering, though, lacking a V8, GMC used both Oldsmobile and Pontiac V8 engines and both used the Truck HydraMatic. In late 50s GMC developed its own line of high torque V6 engines and Chevrolet developed a Powerglide suitable for truck duty.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, JBro said:

That's what I thought originally also. It seems to fit good but I've looked around online and all the photos I've found of the 55-59 seem to have a triangle shaped instrument panel. This thing is kind of a Frankenstein's monster and has some funky stuff going on. 

This is the Chevrolet truck dash from this time period.

1955 Chevrolet Cameo Pickup-wht-dash=mx=.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1