Old Car Festival at Greenfield Village in Dearborn today & tomorrow (covers up through 1932)

Jim Skelly

I spent 6 1/2 hours and skipped most of the Model Ts and Model As (1928-1931 version) since they probably comprise half of the show and I wanted to see other makes.  As it was, between walking and talking to owners, I still didn't see everything.  Some uncommon cars:

1901 Locomobile steam car

1903 Ford Model A

1904 Sunset (San Francisco)

1905 Ford Model B

1906 Wayne (Detroit)

1908 Ford Model S

1908 Cadillac Model T

1908 Jackson (Jackson, Michigan)

1910 Pullman (York, Pa.)

1911 Crow-Elkhart (Elkhart, Indiana)

1912 Baker Electric (Cleveland)

1912 Cadillac Model 30 

1912 McIntyre (Auburn, Indiana)

1913 Oldsmobile Defender

1915 Monroe (Flint)

1917 Pilot (Richmond, Indiana)

1920 Milburn Light Electric (Toledo)

1920 Liberty (Detroit)

There were many nice As and Ts.  My favorites are always the roadster pickups.  There were several pre-WW1 REOs, Buicks, Sears and Overlands.  Two of the most outstanding cars were the Olds Defender and a 1911 Pierce Arrow.  I took 235 photos and wore out 2 sets of batteries and had to quit shooting. 

I admired 2 Model T wagons that, as it turned out, were shown by a grandfather and grandson.  The grandson started with a frame and seriously messed up engine.  He got it all back together and built his own body and interior from a pile of oak he bought for a couple hundred dollars.  He didn't buy a body kit but probably used his grandfather's wagon as a rough guide.  The result was simply outstanding!  A father and son (probably 10 or 11) came by.  The son started asking a lot of questions after I told him that this guy built the body from scratch.  The grandson asked if we wanted to go for a ride, so we went around the village for probably 10 minutes and when we returned, the new car enthusiast sat behind the steering wheel.  His Dad is into flying, but I think we now have another young car enthusiast!

DSCN3100.JPG

DSCN3102.JPG

Edited by Jim Skelly
added photos of 1925 T (see edit history)
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2

1920 Liberty (The Liberty Motor Car Company Administration Building - an exact replica of Independence Hall in Philadelphia - was demolished a few years ago to expand the Jefferson Avenue North (Stellantis) assembly plant).  That still annoys me!  Production ended in 1924.  It became a Budd stamping plant where body panels for the '55-'57 Thunderbird and '56-'57 Mark II were made, and then assorted other stampings for FoMoCo well into this century.

DSCN3158.JPG

Edited by Jim Skelly (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Even though the headlights of the Liberty still can't be seen, it has a set of unique headlights shaped like a shield. I have a pair of these around somewhere. It took me a lot of looking to find out what they fit! The Liberty is such a rare car, I doubt that there is anyone in the world that needs a set of headlights! 🙂

44 minutes ago, pkhammer said:

Even though the headlights of the Liberty still can't be seen, it has a set of unique headlights shaped like a shield. I have a pair of these around somewhere. It took me a lot of looking to find out what they fit! The Liberty is such a rare car, I doubt that there is anyone in the world that needs a set of headlights! 🙂

The owner also has a newer one that needs a lot.  I'll give you his contact information if you want.

Edited by Jim Skelly
. (see edit history)