For Sale: 1933 Continental Beacon 4dr Sedan - $40,000 - Graham, NC - Not Mine

For Sale: 1933 Continental Beacon 4dr Sedan - $40,000 - Graham, NC

1933 Continental Beacon - cars & trucks - by owner - vehicle... (craigslist.org)
Seller's Description:

National First place car in great condition only one in mint condition. The car has the red seal engine in it made by Continental. These cars were only made two years. I have the bill of sale and all info about the car and motor company. All numbers match.  odometer: 18795
Copy and paste in your email:  34ef4d18344a3ed28df0adb5c042cc64@sale.craigslist.org

I have no personal interest or stake in the eventual sale of this 1933 Continental Beacon 4dr Sedan.

The Standard Catalog of American Cars, 1805-1942, Edited by Kimes and Clark states "This Continental began life as the DeVaux. When the DeVaux-Hall Motors failed In January 1932, Continental Motors Corporation stepped in and continued to build a revised version of the DeVaux as the Continental-DeVaux for the remainder of 1932.  In November that year, however, the Continental-DeVaux Company became the Continental Automobile Company."

As synopsis, the Continental Automobile Company was created by the Continental Motors and Hayes Body company in a joint effort to recover some of the money owed by DeVaux-Hall Motors to whom they'd supplied engines and bodies.  There were other creditors involved as well.  The four-cylinder Continental Beacon was the lowest-priced line, followed by the six-cylinder Continental Flyer and the topline Continental Ace.  After meager 1933 sales, only Continental Beacon was fielded for 1934 after which they threw in the towel.   Even at the low prices it still made more sense to buy an established "Low-Price-Three" make than a 'flash-in-the-pan" however well-known the engine and body makers were. 

'33 Continental Beacon NC aa.jpg

'33 Continental Beacon NC a.jpg

'33 Continental Beacon NC b.jpg

'33 Continental Beacon NC c.jpg

'33 Continental Beacon NC d.jpg

'33 Continental Beacon NC e.jpg

'33 Continental Beacon NC f.jpg

'33 Continental Beacon NC g.jpg

'33 Continental Beacon NC h.jpg

'33 Continental Beacon NC i.jpg

'33 Continental Beacon NC j.jpg

'33 Continental Beacon NC k.jpg

'33 Continental Beacon NC l.jpg

'33 Continental Beacon NC m.jpg

'33 Continental Beacon NC n.jpg

• Like 4

2 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Wow, this is quite a find, Steve!

I don't know that it's worth $40,000, but I have

never seen a Continental, even at Hershey.

For those who don't know, they have nothing to do

with Ford or Lincoln.  They're pretty much a forgotten

car of the 1930's.

John:

I just about fell off my chair when this 1933 Continental Beacon turned up for sale on CL.  I too have never encountered one of these rarities in person either.   The first time I became aware they existed was in the Standard Catalog of American Cars, 1805-1942, edited by Kimes and Clark.  Then the "Special Interest Autos" Jan-Feb 1977 SIA #38, arrived with a good history and drive report of a 1933 Continental Beacon.  The reason we have never seen one in person could be because of tiny production, from page 27 of the article:

"Official sale records have long been lost, but a 1941 Continental serial number accounting indicated 4,092 Beacons, 1,746 Flyers and 651 Aces manufactured in 1933."

Further, regarding 1934: "Sales languished and only 983 Beacons were sold."

Between being an obscure, low-priced car in the Depression weary 1930's, likely worn-out by the advent of WWII, few must have survived into the 1950's.  The SIA article noted a registry at the time had accounted for nine Beacons, three Flyers and two Aces. A few more may have come to light since then.

It's difficult to determine a price for something so rare that there are no comparable sales.  Only the Willys 77 was in the same price range but there were ~15K sold. 

Steve

• Thanks 2