For Sale: (3) Ford Model Ts: 1914 brass era pickup, 1918 touring, 1922 Fordor sedan - Projects - West Hartford, CT - Not Mine

For Sale: Three Ford Model Ts: 1914 brass era pickup, 1918 touring, 1922 Fordor sedan - Projects - West Hartford, CT

1914 Model T - cars & trucks - by owner - vehicle automotive sale (craigslist.org)
Seller's Description:

Three Ford Model Ts for sale:
1914 brass era pickup truck. Original front and rear end. Aftermarket body with original hardware. 1922 engine turns over. Hasn’t been started. Original wood wheels. Sold with extensive extra parts. $5800.

1918 touring car. Mostly original. Rebuilt drivetrain. Later motor (23-24) Needs a new top. Have bows. Registered and driving. Owned over 30+ years. Fun car. $7800.

1922 four door sedan. Very rare aluminum body. Estimated only 400 left. Original engine turns. New starter, generator, wiring. Comes with interior garnish molding and aftermarket splash aprons. $5800.

Sold individually or will negotiate a package deal. Located in West Hartford, CT.
Copy and paste in your email: 2c7dfe0824a93031857f6a5fd90ff89f@sale.craigslist.org

I have no personal interest or stake in the eventual sale of this Three Ford Model Ts: 1914 brass era pickup, 1918 touring, 1922 Fordor sedan - Projects.  More photos on listing.

'14 Model T CT a.jpg

'18 Model T CT b.jpg

'22 Model T CT c.jpg

• Like 2

Late 1922 was the first of Ford factory four-door sedans. The first ones (I don't know the production numbers for them?), practically all the body sheet metal was aluminum. Historians debate about the reason why. Supposedly, it was a weight consideration. Although others believe it was more about custom building the first few hundred of them. Aluminum was easier to work with hand forming over panel bucks. Early 1923 saw a few of the simpler panels made of steel, and by the end of 1923 model year, only the doors were aluminum. Early 1924 had even the doors were steel. 

Thicker lighter aluminum or thinner heavier steel? The final weight wasn't that different. Ford's gigantic steel stamping presses could turn out steel panels more quickly than they could aluminum. At the volume of Ford's production by 1924, it was cheaper to make them out of steel.

A detail to pay attention to! Notice that the top of the body cowl does NOT have a ventilation door! Only the earliest, late 1922, Fordor sedans did not have a cowl vent. The 1923 through 1927 Fordors all had a vent there. That, along with all significant body panels being aluminum, does make this a very early Ford (Fordor) sedan.

I have over the years known several owners of Fordor sedans, and probably have seen a couple dozen of them from the six years Ford built them. I think I might have seen maybe three about this early.

As a clarification for anybody somewhat familiar with model T Fords, and my comment about the Fordor's cowl vent going through 1927? Most model Ts did in fact have the gasoline tank in 1926 and 1927 mounted in the cowl, and it was filled through a fake vent door in the center of the cowl. However, for 1926 and 1927, the four-door sedan was the one car body style exception to that gasoline tank relocation. The Fordor continued with the gasoline tank under the front seat just as most body styles had had since the beginning of model T production! Hence, the Fordor's vent door was still a real vent. The TT ton truck's gasoline tank also remained under the front seat for those years.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Standard Catalog of American Cars, 1805-1942, Edited by Kimes and Clark states the 1922 Ford Model T four door sedan production total was 4,286 built.  At $725 and 1,950 lbs, the body style was the most expensive and heaviest, aluminum coachwork notwithstanding, offered that model year.  Also noted: "About November 1922, a new "Fordor" sedan was added to the line.  The Fordor body was made of aluminum panels over a wood frame."

• Like 1