1933 PD Coupe door checks

TomP

Looking to find out what type of retaining stay was used to tie the door to the B pillar. Not even sure what you would call it in the States, my thoughts are that it is possibly a piece of flat steel with a cross pin on the B pillar passing through a 9/16 x 5/8" slot in the door.

A single photo would suffice, this is holding up getting the door cards fitted.

Thanks for looking

On 8/8/2023 at 11:30 PM, keiser31 said:

Google "vintage car door check arm".

Thank you John, so I am correct about the style but would like to get an idea of the length to determine what the open measurement of the door should be, or perhaps what the angle should be. These arms I will make myself, I'm not ever going bother to look for them, my thinking is that the angle might be about 50° of movement.

Would be good if @ply33 picks up on this thread.

The 1928-33 Plymouth Master Parts list calls it a "door check arm" with part number 348478 used on both the coupe and on the two door sedan (I did not check the list for other body styles they are probably the same).

The arm is slightly curved. On the side in the door there is a cap holding a rubber washer attached which softens things a bit when the door reaches the fully opened position.

I will try to get out to the garage today to get a photo and some measurements off my car.

Thank you so much Tod for all this information, I can now go forward to get this part completed. So simple when one has all the correct measurements.

Having been the caretaker of this RHD r/s Coupe for 11 years now hoping to have it drive able soon, it has not been driven since pre 1970 when a South African enthusiast noticed it almost abandoned at the roadside.

5 hours ago, TomP said:

Tod could you please measure the thickness of the rubber stop on the door jam.

Thank you Tom

That was missing on my car so the one you see is what I purchased from Steele Rubber several decades ago and may not be correct. Oddly, I don't seem to have put that into my parts database so I don’t have the Steele cross reference or what I thought the original Chrysler part number was.

And, at present, I am several states away from my home so I have access to neither my reference materials nor my car. I will be back at the end of the week and will try to find the cross reference information and can make some measurements at that time.

Thank you Tod, there is no hurry as they don't hold any of the process up. Intact if you hadn't posted that photo I wouldn't have known they were needed.

Steele Rubber never answer my emails so can only assume they don't want to get involved with export.

Tom