changing tube on 27 Buick

Old26Buick

Wow 

that guy makes a easy job hard. 

Here is the correct way to use a rim tool 

IMG_1948.jpeg.c8e594c510e0e01ff27f70fd63e92ddf.jpeg

I just changed the tires on my 26-20. I did 2  of them the way Hubert posted and 2 with my rim tool. Both ways were not very difficult. 
I also noticed that he didn’t use a boot in the tire to protect the tube. I used boots in my tires. I think it makes it easier to mount and it should be in there to protect the tube from getting pinched at the split. 

John

Edited by JohnS25 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

That is a painfull video to watch.  He really is doing it wrong.  Agreed that he also left out the tire flap.  The hydraulic jack leads to all kinds errors that could occur because he does not know how to use the tire tool for installing the rim.  He even suggests upgrading to a 10 ton jack.  I would also not use WD40 on the rubber for not knowing it's long term effects.   I installed tires for years when I worked at Sears.  Attached are better instructions and then more details.     Hugh

Installing tires, tubes and flaps:

1)     The rim ends are overlapped to start.  No rim tool inside.

2)     Dust the inside of the tire and the outside of the tube with baby powder. 

3)     Wipe rubber lubricant (rue glide or bull Snort) on the area of the tire that has to slip over the rim.  It does not need any on the tire face side. 

4)     Lay the rim on the ground on a piece of cardboard.  Install the bottom bead of the tire only on the rim.  I use tire tools to make this easier.

5)     Put just enough air into the tube to give it some shape, but a tire gauge would still read less than 1 psi.

6)     Push the valve stem thru the tire flap.  Install the flap inside the tube’s inside diameter.

7)     Lift the upper bead of the tire.  Install the valve stem into the rim hole.  

😎    Push the tube and flap between the upper bead and the upper rim.  Everything should be in the tire, and the flap should help keep the tube inside the tire.

9)     Starting at the valve stem.  Push the upper bead in place over the upper rim.  Start with installing the tire correctly and evenly over the valve stem area.

10) Work away from the valve stem equally on both sides as you work around the tire with the tire tools.  Work 2 inches at a time.  Add additional lubricant as needed.    Be cautious that you do not pinch the tube with the rounded end of the tire tool. 

11) Before removing the rim overlap, inspect both sides of the tire to ensure the flap is laying correctly. 

12) Use the rim expander to make the rim round gain.  Note that it is oriented differently for expanding a rim vs contracting a rim.  See “Position of rim Jack to reseat split rim”. Below.  Go slowly and watch that you are not distorting the rim.  Reposition the jack if necessary.

13) After making the rim round, close the rim lock and inspect the flap again on both sides.  Ensure it is laying flat and the tube is not pinched. 

14) Inflate to the recommended pressure.     

TiresTubesandFlaps1.JPG.57c03dc0da666995690366d58f68245e.JPGTiresTubesandFlaps2.JPG.a3259fb3aaf60d1fb3b9b4f4831c27d2.JPGTiresTubesandFlaps3.JPG.96b4f5294772a6f85a2a264a7463454e.JPG

TiresTubesandFlaps4.JPG.e81819d072dd3efc1dd1daee9ebeea39.JPGTiresTubesandFlaps5.JPG.29303c760692370b360f5f51589a70fd.JPGTiresTubesandFlaps6.JPG.adde5871e7b63b03d398696c5f512f13.JPGTiresTubesandFlaps7.JPG.d0d5b75af6508b4ee31730dae567389f.JPGTiresTubesandFlaps8.JPG.325ed1587307ca6e47f6f0fb81df8c1a.JPG

Edited by Hubert_25-25 (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As a newbie to demountable rims I appreciate the feedback on the video and its shortcomings.  Apparently I have some things to learn.

All this is a good lesson in better practices and procedures for mounting a tire.  Not too many guys in my area who know old brass era and pre war cars.  The internet is my classroom.  Like all things- the lesson is only as good as the instructor.  I do have some tires to change and will try the ways posted by @Hubert_25-25 and @JohnS25.  

The good news is that newbies like me can learn from others mistakes and get proper guidance.  I am grateful for this forum and the knowledge you guys share.

I adjusted the wording in my video post above to explain that the video is not the way to do it.  I shared bad information but have hopefully corrected it for a better learning tool.

Edited by IFDPete (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Thank you IFDPete

Hugh is probably one of the best go to guys on early Buicks  and early car maintenance.

He is certainly better at explaining the processes of repair and maintenance better  than most!

thanks Hugh for taking the time to do your thorough explanations.

John

• Like 1

You should be able to pry the ends together just with a tire iron or pry bar. If you must use the jack / portapower system, place a short 2x4 across the solid side and place the jack on it, gives you a 3 point instead of a 2 point pressure. Not recommending it though unless nothing else is working. 

I have dismounted old tires, flaps, and tubes and put new tubes, flaps, and tires on 17 split rims on the three old Buicks that at one time we had.  Doing this is not at all as hard as some want you to believe.  When it came to putting the new tires back on the rims I inflated the tube and rubbed it down with cornstarch.  I put the cornstarch inside the tire and used an old dusting brush to work it all over inside the tire.  I had an old piece of carpet that I laid down on my shop floor and went to work putting everything together.  There is nothing hard about this procedure and good common sense and a rim spreader will work wonders every time.  That's my story and I won't change a word of it.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

AACA Life Member #947918

• Like 3