Ownership tracing on ‘32 Mac Buick

32Mac

Hello all,

Wondering if anyone might have some ideas on how to trace the ownership of a 1932 McLaughlin Buick 96C Convertible Coupe that I bought recently. I would love to get an original bill of sale and photos of the car as it looked when delivered from the dealership.

Thanks!

Eric

The chances of that happening are close to zero.

Your best bet for history is tracing the ownership backwards from the guy you bought it from.

Also the Buick club is very active and if there is a 90 series roster keeper he may have some history.

• Like 1

Thanks, Inhabe some docs from the previous owner that get me back to the mid 80s, and the name of the restoration company that had the car from the mid 70s, but nothing beyond that. Wondering if anyone has contacts with the McLaughlin family or records from the dealership that may have sold the car.

14 hours ago, 32Mac said:

Thanks, Inhabe some docs from the previous owner that get me back to the mid 80s, and the name of the restoration company that had the car from the mid 70s, but nothing beyond that. Wondering if anyone has contacts with the McLaughlin family or records from the dealership that may have sold the car.

Researching a car is a tremendous amount of work.  There are guys that do this for a living and you can spend thousands with them to get a history.  Typically they are working for guys with very expensive cars.    You can emulate some of what they do by writing letters to every name you have and politely asking for help.  Include pictures of the car.

• Like 1

After months of looking up Obits, I came across a lead that was willing to go to the local library in that state and dig up  immigration papers, marriage certificates, family tree info and search microfiche newspaper articles with the names I was looking for. This 88 yr old lady doing this felt like she was on a treasure hunt, she was also the last surviving member of the family that purchased  the car new in 1932. No dealer records exist any more as they were destroyed in the 60s Ive been told. It’s fun but you may only end up with a theory of where the car came from. 

Good luck.

• Like 1

Sounds like quite an odyssey, but that’s part of the fun. I have the name of the person who owned the car, Buzz Lundgren, as it sat rusting in the field before it was restored in the 70s, but nothing beyond that yet.