CHRYSLER 72 BRAKE PIPE

Check size of fitting that connects to both ends, to reservoir and to master cylinder, measure required length and then go to a shop and buy a length of fitted brake line with those fittings, actual size may have been originally 1/8"-3/16", likely does not matter much as it is gravity fed. 

• Thanks 1

thank you GUNSMOKE for your reply

the fitting size at the master cylinder and the reservoir is 7/16 unf 20 tpi

the only fittings i can get are for 1/4 pipe i thought it would have to be larger

because the feed pipes from master cylinder to brakes is 3/8  anyway i will use 1/4 pipe 

1/4" will be fine, it is only intended as a low volume drip feed. The lines to the wheels cylinders are sized to deal with the pressure and volume required to actuate brake shoes, and to then quickly return fluid to master cylinder when brake pedal is released. Modern disc brakes often have very small brake lines to cylinders, maybe 1/8" in some cases, but operate under higher pressure of power brakes.

• Thanks 1

Based on both my series G70 and my series 62 I'm pretty sure your model 72 will be the same. Pipe from the reservoir to master cyl will be 5/16. The pipes from the master cylinder to the T piece on the frame x member and from that T to the 2 T pieces on the side frame rails is 3/8 and the ones from the side rail t pieces to front and rear are 5/16.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, viv w said:

Based on both my series G70 and my series 62 I'm pretty sure your model 72 will be the same. Pipe from the reservoir to master cyl will be 5/16. The pipes from the master cylinder to the T piece on the frame x member and from that T to the 2 T pieces on the side frame rails is 3/8 and the ones from the side rail t pieces to front and rear are 5/16.

Just checked my brake pipes on my 72 and you are correct 3/8 and 5/16 .

the pipe and fittings were missing from reservoir. when i got my car so dont know pipe size i suspect it was 5/16

anyway cant locate any fittings for 5/16 here in uk so as per GUNSMOKES advice will go with 1/4 pipe

If you go with 1/4 tube then you will have to find reducers etc. I suggest you get contact Jay above for your fittings, however, just remember your car is RHD so the pipe you need will be longer than the one for a LHD car, so measure the length you need. You may have to buy the fittings from Jay and make up  a pipe the length that you want.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, viv w said:

If you go with 1/4 tube then you will have to find reducers etc. I suggest you get contact Jay above for your fittings, however, just remember your car is RHD so the pipe you need will be longer than the one for a LHD car, so measure the length you need. You may have to buy the fittings from Jay and make up  a pipe the length that you want.

HI  VIV W  have now managed to get two brass 7/16 unf fittings for 1/4 pipe

nothing seems the same from model to model on these pre war chryslers ???