1953 Chrysler New Yorker Fluid torque transmission oil

Fred Schmitt

Torque converter is fed from the engine oil supply. When you go to change the oil get a BIG bucket, the crankcase holds 12 quarts. With an extra quart if you change the filter.

Transmission is filled separately.There are 2 pipe plugs on the right side of the trans, lower is the drain upper is the fill. Fill till oil drips out of the hole, use TDH tractor fluid ISO 32 grade, or 10 motor oil.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Thanks for the reply,  I'm kinda confused,  the dip stick on my 331 hemi states 5 quarts.  On the transmission hump inside the new yorker there's an access panel that exposes the top of the torque converter.  180 degrees below is the drain.  I've read some changes are as you described, while others are separate.   Don't want to make a mistake.   Chrysler made this one a challenge.   Any other thoughts?  

There were 2 transmission choices Fluid Drive and Fluid Torque Drive. I thought all New Yorkers in 53 were Fluid Torque Drive but yours could be Fluid Drive. What does it say on the shift quadrant?

Fluid Drive has a fluid coupling self contained, and filled thru a hole in the floor, under an access plate on the right side of the transmisson hump, under the dash board.

Fluid Torque Drive has a torque converter fed from the engine oil supply. Earlier 1952 and 51 torque converters had their own oil pan under the car, with the dip stick and filler under there.

If you have the separate fill Fluid Drive it takes TDH tractor fluid ISO 32 grade, or 10 motor oil same as transmission.

• Like 1

It had been posted here a while back with a picture.  The system that uses 12 quarts of engine oil has that printed on the oil breather cap to remind you to fill it to the correct amount.  Which assumes your oil breather cap still has the decal in place.

The Chrysler 331 V8 NewYorker has it's own torque converter oil supply.

There is a oil pan sump under the bell housing.

Cheap line MoPar sixes and smaller V8 cars used the engine fed Fluid Drive torque conerters.

Engine fed torque converters were also air cooled using external vanes on the converters.

Fred's FTD coverter is water cooled.

The cooler is mounted on the front left lower side of the Hemi engine.

• Like 1

Yes as Rusty notes..converter cooler connected to lower hose...

Also shown is the picture of the Chrysler V8 FTD with it's own separate oil supply sump pan having both a drain and fill plug.

Note in front of this sump is a square four bolt plate...remove to drain torque converter separately. Also remove TQ plug at top 12:00 position if TQ has two drain and or vent plugs

There is a floor tunnel access plate for easier access  on some models.

This removal of the additional top plug allows venting for quick and  complete draining of the converter.

Not all converters had two plugs.

20230710_214020_ycvd4pu08L.jpeg

20230710_212153_avHVFDoU4I.jpeg

7B684483-DB50-4318-82BD-BEBE2CE7E169.jpeg.ca67a6cfab5c7be54d29c09060b6f047.jpg

Edited by c49er (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Fred Schmitt said:

Great pics, I'm going to dive into it this weekend.   Never been this confused before.   Thanks Chrysler!  Thanks for all the information. 

You can go nuts trying to figure out the welter of engine and transmission combinations offered by Chrysler between 1939 and 1954. They kept changing them and giving them new names, with different names for the same thing in various car lines.

I took some pics this morning,  even more confusing.   I opened the hole on the bell housing and spun the flywheel.   Maybe not enough because I didn't seen any plug in the torque converter.   I've attached some pics from under the car.  Additionally,  I didn't see the oil cooler in the picture attached to the front of the engine.   Hopefully,  someone can enlighten me with the pictures.  Thanks.  Sorry for the upside down pics.

20230715_081216.jpg

20230715_081212.jpg

20230715_081208.jpg

Your pictures are showing the standard  "Fluid-Matic"...... fluid drive coupling and M-6 transmission.

No torque multiplication converter (Fluid Torque Drive) option offerered on the Nrw Yorkers. Std on Imperials.

Meaning the typical old style Fluid Drive coupling and M-6 transmission is what I see from your pics.

The fluid coupling plug will be on the finned angle portion of the coupling. Accessable fill through the floor tunnel passenger side of the tunnel. A black cover plate.

Drain on lower angled access plate on bell housing.

Does your shift indicator say "Fluid Torque Drive"?

Edited by c49er (see edit history)

Maybe, I'm missing something!  Some posts indicate engine oil and converter share oil.  On mine I don't see how.  My oil dipstick says only 5 quarts.  I right to assume that only my engine gets oil and the transmission gets oil.  Nothing else?

I told you it could drive you nuts figuring out Chrysler's transmission combinations.

Evidently you have the plain Fluid Drive setup. Fluid Drive unit and transmission filled separately, but both take the same oil, either 10W motor oil or TDH tractor transmission fluid ISO 32 or ISO 22.

The Fluid Drive unit is serviced from inside the car. Roll back the carpet, there is an access plate in the floor on the right side of the transmission hump below the dash board. See the third pic in C49er's post above, and notice the access plate on the right. Under that is a round hole in the bellhousing, supposed to be covered by a knockout plug. Pry it out and "bump" the starter until the fill plug comes into view. Unscrew the fill plug, IMPORTANT stuff a rag around the hole first so the plug can't fall in. With the plug out you can take a funnel and fill the Fluid Drive unit. You must leave a certain air space, the fill is located so this is taken care of automatically.

Transmission filled from under the car, as detailed above.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Fred Schmitt said:

Maybe, I'm missing something!  Some posts indicate engine oil and converter share oil.  On mine I don't see how.  My oil dipstick says only 5 quarts.  I right to assume that only my engine gets oil and the transmission gets oil.  Nothing else?

You got it right.

Your engine  DS says 5 quarts.. = non FTD system.

So just drain and refill the Fluid Drive coupling itself. Forget the Fluid Torque Drive instructions.

Combined Engine oil has nothing to do with your "Fluid-Matic fluid Drive  coupling.

Your 53 New Yirker is no different  than a 1948 Chrysler New Yorker as to changing the FD fluid. 

Rusty, I read another blog discussion about the same issue.  The access opening is at 12 not 2.  When moving the flywheel to the 12 position there's a plug there.  I'm not having any slipping from what I can tell.  No evidence of fluid in the housing either.  I've changed my transmission fluid with the ISO 32.  Easy to to.   I've installed a tachometer, car idles at 500, when driving,  car shifts at about 11 mph from 1st to 2nd.  Not sure in the high range.  Can't really tell if it's shifting from 3d to 4th.  At 60 mph I'm at about 2k rpm.  Do you have to let off the gas or engage the clutch for it to shift?  Never owned a classic like this on.  Thanks for all the help and advice from everyone. 

Normal operation goes like this.  Warm up engine in neutral, shift into High, release clutch completely, the car will sit and idle like an automatic. Release the brake, step on gas, and take off. When you get going 14MPH or more, lift off the gas, you should hear a soft *click-clack* from under the floor boards, now you are in High gear of High range, step on the gas and go someplace.

If you want extra power to pass floor the gas pedal, it should kick down a gear like an automatic if you are going less than 50MPH.

When you come to a stop no need to shift, just step on the brake like an automatic. It will shift down automatically and take off in Low gear of High range, when you get going 14MPH lift off the gas, etc.

Do not use the clutch any more than you have to, they have a very small clutch that will not stand a lot of slipping. Release the clutch and let the Fluid Drive do the rest. Do not try to slip the clutch like a manual trans.

Low range is for taking off on a steep hill, or driving in deep sand, snow or mud. Or driving slowly. Works the same as High range except, will shift up at 6MPH.

I don't know what to tell you about filling the Fluid Drive unit. Every one I have worked on was as I said, the filler under the small plate on the side of the transmission tunnel, except the ones with a self contained Torque Converter setup. The factory has no recommendation for changing the oil, as the Fluid Drive is a sealed unit. Just check and top up as necessary every 10,000 miles.

• Like 2

Took it out, left it in high range.  It did shift.  I think I'm on the road to understanding this car.I really appreciate all of the help and guidance.  I've attached a pic of my steering column.   Not sure, but it links like I'm missing my indicators.  I don't see how one could have been attached though.  Any thoughts???16895366643871547417157442080537.jpg.1a98e2cdf4e16057943016078dc63990.jpg16895368736092126956751822206083.jpg.b823792c3d24dea50aa3c8b76783b66c.jpg16895369118611386166538650639448.jpg.9658f0630248a6a77da20a2b99e29bdb.jpg

I had a 52 New Yorker with Fluid Torque Drive (torque converter) and it had a quadrant like an automatic car. Yours looks more like a typical earlier Fluid Drive that just had a shift lever like a manual trans, no quadrant. I did not know they came that way in 1953 New Yorker, you live and learn.

The first pic in C49er's post above shows the location of the fill plug at the top of the Fluid Drive unit. Notice also the balance weight at the bottom to balance out the weight of the plug.

I goigled endless pics of NewYorkers and Custom Imperials...

This is the only style shift indicator I could find....

I could fund none that said Fluid Torque Drive like 1951-52 Chryslers.

Best pic I could find.

Don't know why Fred's car has no indicator.

22177216-1953-chrysler-new-yorker-std_aNy6SU6I8U.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Apparently the Fluid Torque Drive models got the automatic style gearshift quadrant and the plain Fluid Drive jobs didn't. I didn't even know you could still get plain Fluid Drive on a New Yorker in 53. It is still a good setup for convenience and simple reliable service.