seat belts recommendations

elepaqxo

I am restoring a 1929 Pierce Arrow and will be installing seat belts. Can anyone give me recommendations as to what kind is acceptable? Should I be going to a type with an aircraft-type buckle? Thanks for any advice

Unless you have the ability to fabricate and install a modern 3 point belt with shoulder strap I would agree with Alsancle. A lap belt is more dangerous than no belt. If I am in a crash with a lap belt in a prewar car the belt will only create a hinge point at my waist ensuring that in the crash my chest is going to squarely impact the non collapsible steering column resulting in a larger injury to my person. Very rarely have I seen belts added to a vintage car that could actually be effective. The mount point of the anchor of the belt needs to be in a correct line from the wearer's hip / waist and dirctly back to the frame reinforced mount. Often times the line has to snake through seat base and back resulting in the direction of pull or force being across the lower legs or the stomach.

• Like 1

I disagree; I think seat belts are marginally helpful.  I think main role is helping the driver stay in control during a turn, preventing an accident from happening in the first place. Without a seatbelt, it's possible to slide over and lose your grip on the steering wheel or lose the placement on the pedals, with potentially very bad results.  A seat belt helps the driver stay in control by keeping the driver in the driver's seat.  (I would attach a lap belt to the seat, not the frame, for the hinge point reason vintage suggests.) 

But as for the the type, I would just do a normal belt, not anything with a special kind of buckle.  But I don't think the design matters much; it's just a question of taste, and they're all non-original anyway.

• Like 1

Absolutely.  The contorted reasoning against seat belts is on par with a Fox or tawk radio spin.  The SCCA made seat belts mandatory at their events back in the '50s.   Are basic seat belts panacea?  Of course not.  But anyone arguing against them has a bolt loose.  Friends with Cords, a '38 Roadmaster, '40s Cads, Packards have them.   

Zeroed in on a Delahaye yet?  Saw your question but haven't been on this site in a couple years. 

Edited by Su8overdrive (see edit history)
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Su8overdrive said:

Zeroed in on a Delahaye yet?  Saw your question but haven't been on this site in a couple years. 

No, still a dream.   I'm a little worried that keeping it on the road is a bigger challenge than I need, too.  So it's on the short list of "maybe somedays" but nothing likely to happen soon.