Power Window Troubleshooting

I just picked up an '89 SOHC with 58K original miles and everything works well except for the driver front and rear power windows. I cleaned the contacts on the main switch the connector in the drivers door and when I check the voltage at the outputs of the switch I get 12+v and my ohm meter reads about 1.2ohms from power input on the main switch to all individual switch outputs (manually pressing up and down to trigger). Further, if I give the drivers door window direct voltage it will go up and down and the motor sounds good.

I suspect that there is a pinched/broken wire between the switch and the motor for the door since it goes up and down directly - other ideas?

For the back window I haven't taken it apart yet to check the motor directly - again any other things to check?

Thanks!

Power windows are reversing polarity, meaning that at the motor one wire gets power and then other gets ground. When the switches are 'at rest' both wires should show ground. The motor does NOT provide the ground. Check the plug for the motor for ground, then move the switch and check for voltage. You can trace the wiring in the door rather easily since it is already apart to check for breaks. It does sound like the switch may not be giving the ground for the circuit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

OK, so I tested again at the door plug, removing the switch from the equation, all but one window works. Which leads me to believe that the switch is the culprit for 3 of the four windows. I can also roll down the passenger side window with the passenger door switch. I also need to troubleshoot the drivers back window but it is more likely a issue with that motor. I will need to pull apart the back to know for sure.

Any recommendations on where to get an drivers side master window switch (part# 30505H)?

Thanks!

I was able to refurb the main drivers door window switch controller and now 3 or 4 windows work. 

Unfortunately the rear drivers side window motor is fried so it f anyone knows where to get a replacement, let me know. 

I had a similar problem but with the driver side rear window, I made basically the same troubleshooting process that you did with no results.  On a hunch, I took a skinny metal rod, slid it down the side of the window to the motor, banged the motor 3,4 times, and low and behold it started working properly, and has worked fine ever since.  My thought was that maybe the motor brushes (if so constructed) stopped making good contact with the commutator, and a little jarring with the pole reconnected the brushes with the commutator, this is basically my best guess..........

28 minutes ago, miggytosh said:

Thanks @marty14, that is what I suspected too. Definitely need a rear driver's QTR window. For now I was able to remove the motor, make sure the window could move freely, and for now I can manually raise and lower.

Definitely need a rear driver's QTR window. So you need a window or a motor?