Cord Door lock issue

a griffin

It may have a simple answer but my brain isn't clicking today.

1936 Cord

Passenger front door can be locked using key on exterior handle, the interior locking function does not work. Is this a spring issue on the interior remote or something else?

Edited by a griffin (see edit history)

Car door latches have springs in them.  That's what makes the door handle spring back up after you turn it down.  The spring on my 48 DeSoto must be broken since the outer door handle hangs down and the door doesn't close easily like the passenger door.  Few car owners have ever removed the door latch, so I don't think there is a lot of knowledge about this.  I'm still trying to figure out out the remove the key cylinder so I can remove the door latch mechanism so I can see how it works.  

marcapra, I see a '48 DeSoto has a lock that mounts on the door skin, not a lock in a handle button. I have removal information for a '51 DeSoto, may be the same. 

DeSoto 1951.jpg

• Like 2

Those directions are for the new DeSotos starting in 1949.  For the 48 and earlier Chryslet products there is a hole on the edge of the door with what I think is an allen screw that you have to unscrew.  Getting back to the Cord, which I know nothing about, it might be a spring issue with the remote control inside door lever.  It is connected to the door latch with a long arm.  Thanks.  

On 6/19/2023 at 2:17 AM, marcapra said:

For the 48 and earlier Chryslet products there is a hole on the edge of the door with what I think is an allen screw that you have to unscrew.

You are right! I found the proper instructions.

1948 DeSoto.jpg

It's right side up in my computer....

Edited by Frank DuVal
Tried to rotate picture. No luck. (see edit history)
  • Like 1