What year is this Desoto?

Rata Road

I have a 39 Dodge and have found this Desoto which the owner believes is also a 39.

My Dodge has column change and the speedo that changes colour with the speed numbers close to the pointer. This Desoto is floor change with a different style speedo, no colour change and numbers are larger and on the outside edge of the unit.

Also my Dodge has a 2nd red tail light/number plate light combo in the centre of the boot with "Dodge" in red raised lettering and the Desoto only has a number plate light located there.

Is it just because its a Desoto thats its slightly different? I suspect its because its a earlier model.

Note - Both cars are RHD export models probably Canadian made.

Thanks

39 Desoto dash.jpg

E Speedo 40mph.JPG

The headlights are exactly the same in both cars so if thats the main identifier they both must be from the same year.

Pic below is my Dodge.

Maybe Desoto stuck with the floor change for an extra year or this actual Desoto was built with left over parts?

Is the top speedo shown above with the large speed numerals the same as a 38 Speedo?

Thanks

H Front Left.JPG

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Rata Road said:

The headlights are exactly the same in both cars so if thats the main identifier they both must be from the same year.

Pic below is my Dodge.

Maybe Desoto stuck with the floor change for an extra year or this actual Desoto was built with left over parts?

Is the top speedo shown above with the large speed numerals the same as a 38 Speedo?

Thanks

H Front Left.JPG

I see the headlamps are exactly like the 1939 American Plymouth

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

I wish you would have shown the exterior of the car in question.  One would have to be an expert in dashboards, to know what year this DeSoto is!   I am not an expert in Chrysler cars, so here is my best guess is that this dashboard is from a 1939 export DeSoto.  The car may have been built in Detroit then  shipped "knocked down" (in sections) to Australia for assembly there.  Note steering wheel is on the right in your dashboard photo, suggesting that this car was for use in Australia or New Zealand.

For many years the Chrysler Corp. made export versions of at least two of their brands (DeSoto and Dodge).  These were based upon the current-year Plymouth automobile (Chrysler's entry-level car) and were modified with Dodge and DeSoto trim, grilles and options to suggest a Dodge or DeSoto.

First, here is the 1939 Plymouth as built for the U.S. market:

Plymouth_P7_4-Door_Sedan_1939.jpg?200703

Here is the 1939 Dodge as manufactured the U.S. for the U.S. domestic market. The body was bigger than the Plymouth's.

dodge-luxury-liner-4-door-sedan-front-si

And here is the 1939 "export" Dodge, which is actually a camouflaged 1939 U.S.-built Plymouth.  The body is slightly smaller than the "domestic" Dodge and has 1939 styling cues to suggest a Dodge grille.

Dodge_4-Door_Sedan_1939.jpg

Now, here is the 1939 U.S. DeSoto, built for the U.S. domestic market.  It used the same larger body as the Dodge (and Chrysler too, for that matter).

800px-1939_DeSoto_S-6_Sedan_(9346465378)

....and now the "export" 1939 DeSoto, which is actually (once again) a '39 Plymouth camouflaged as a DeSoto:

1939+DeSoto.jpg

There are probably inaccuracies in what I've said, since I'm no expert, but with luck someone will jump in here and set things straight!

• Like 2