Dual carb.sync.questions on 1600 v.w.engine

Buick35

I borrowed a carb.sync.gauge and I am wondering if the balance tube between the carbs.need to be disconnected to balance them and what is a good reading supposed to be? I know that the linkage should be dissconnected.They are dual Kadrones.Thanks.

Thanks,Mine is the one that looks like a snail with two sets of numbers next to each other.I checked with the linkage connected and the right side was 20 way up to the top,I think the other side was around 7. I'll try it again with the linkage disconnected after the battery charges up again.It's in an engine stand with a new battery connected to it,the alternator isnt.The battery is on a charger and when I short the wires to start it it really puts a load on the battery.I hope the starters not weak. It's got new pistons/cylinders and heads have high compression,not sure my son bought them.

Adjust for best idle then for idle speed, finally synchronize both carbs to the same reading. Exactly what figure is not critical, the trick is to get both sides the same. Disconnect the throttle linkage first, and adjust before reattaching it when you are done.

Idle speed is typically adjusted by turning in the idle mixture screw until the engine starts to slow down then back it out 1/2 turn or 3/4 turn until the best idle is obtained. Then back off the idle speed screw to correct idle speed. Then do the other side. Then synchronize them.

Carb adjustment done after valve adjustment and ignition adjustments (new spark plugs, points, timing etc). Carb adjustment is the last thing done in a tuneup.

• Like 1