1953 Packard Caribbean Convertible

You guys know I love all the Halo cars.   I have a soft spot for the 53/54 Caribbean as we have had 5 of them over the years.   I like the styling of the 53 but the 54 is 1/2 the production (400 vs 800) and has the larger 359 engine vs the 327 straight eight in the 53.    The 55/56 bring more money but those are different beasts.

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1953-packard-caribbean-convertible-4/

This 1953 Packard Caribbean Convertible is one of 750 examples produced for the model year and was reportedly sold new in Virginia. It was moved to Pennsylvania in 1959 and was purchased by the current owner from its previous owner of 25 years in 2009. A refurbishment performed by Madden & Ryan Body Works and Slifer Motor Works of Wayne, Pennsylvania, was completed in 2018, and the car took second place at the AACA Special Fall Nationals in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, in 2020. The car is finished in blue over two-tone blue and cream leatherette upholstery, and power comes from a 327ci Thunderbolt straight-eight paired with an Ultramatic two-speed automatic transmission. Features include a power-operated tan soft top, an electric secondary fuel pump, power-assisted drum brakes, 15″ chrome wire wheels, a Continental spare wheel, chromed flared wheel arches, a hood scoop, a heater, and lap belts. This first-year Caribbean is now offered by the seller on behalf of the current owner with refurbishment records, an AACA trophy, an uninstalled Firestone Supreme whitewall tire, and a Pennsylvania title in the owner’s name.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, B Jake Moran said:

Leatherette upholstery?  That’s a huge compromise.    What else did they compromise on?  

It looks ok to me.  But I'm trying to remember what the original material looked liked in one of our unrestored cars.

• Like 1

My dad owned the twin to this car.    Available colors were Polaris Blue, Gulf Green Metallic, Maroon Metallic and Sahara Sand.  However, I think you could order some custom colors and I have seen black as well as yellow.

July 2014 Thumb Drive Dump 3464.JPG

July 2014 Thumb Drive Dump 3466 - Copy.JPG

July 2014 Thumb Drive Dump 3468.JPG

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...