Plymouth ferrels

broker-len

A friend told my about the ferrels or gland rings  that were used on many of 30s motors   if you think about how the manifold pieces go on it is hard to get a good seal against the gasket    the exhaust or outer are original from a friend and intake are for a model A  same size   just alittle wider   I shaved them down    I think I will get a better seal

ferral 3.jpg

They are necessary on some engines, and help by keeping things sort of aligned. Just make sure the ferrules don't obstruct motion too much. If the exhaust manifold cannot slide on the gasket (front to rear) as it expands and contracts with heat, it will probably break. The same goes for whatever fasteners hold the manifolds to the block. They have to allow a little front to rear sliding.

thanks for responding        my current understanding is that the ferrels  were used from the factory     with the only anitial supports being  the inside bolts which line up the manifolds    it would be evident that with out ferrels the manifolds can be suing up and down    not really getting the proper position   against the gasket    the ford used them   call them gland rigs      never heard about manifold expanding and slide  both the block and manifolds have a cutaway or reses that indicates their use !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   let me know

Edited by broker-len (see edit history)

Lining up the manifold with the glands can be a bit of a chore especially if the manifold has warped but it is well worth it.  Just make sure you have shaved them enough so you can tighten the manifold enough to crush the exhaust manifold gasket.  If you can find sandwich copper O rings that will fit well over the glands they will provide a better seal than the one piece exhaust manifold gasket.   Lots of people omitted them on Model T Fords and that accounts for the thousands of warped exhaust manifolds that have sagged at the rear.

Soupiov   my manifolds are in good shape and are straight      like you said    it is a bear to get the maifolds on the gland rings    starting with all rings in place I hung the gasket   then first put the exhaust   was able to tighten it against block    then the intake   tighten to 25 LBs   wish I would have known about this years ago  

Bob, The Ferrell that I discovered on my engine was completely round, meaning no gap. Personally, I would be concerned with the possibility of a leak developing, the exhaust ports you'll hear but a leak on a intake port, would be a real head scratcher... I know they are mostly for alignment but things happens.

For mine, I located a piece of pipe that was the proper I.D., mounted it in the lathe and turned it down to the proper O.D. and then sliced them off at the proper thickness.

Just my 2 cents.... 

Dave

STAY SAFE!

engine manifold ferrule m.jpg