1954 Buick Roadmaster replacement gas tank filler neck issue

1954 roadie

Hi all, looking for some ideas for a problem I'm having with my new gas tank filler neck. The neck attaches to the new tank with a hose, however where the filler neck passes through the car, up to the gas cap, it moves around and rattles quite a bit, because the space is so large. The diameter of the neck is 2-1/4 inches and the diameter of the space it comes through is 4-1/2 inches. I've checked many sites trying to find a grommet to fit but no luck. Has anyone who has replaced the tank, come up with an idea to keep the neck centered in the space so it will not move. I hope I explained the issue well enough. Thanks in advance...Paul   BCA member #52100

57 minutes ago, 1954 roadie said:

Hi all, looking for some ideas for a problem I'm having with my new gas tank filler neck. The neck attaches to the new tank with a hose, however where the filler neck passes through the car, up to the gas cap, it moves around and rattles quite a bit, because the space is so large. The diameter of the neck is 2-1/4 inches and the diameter of the space it comes through is 4-1/2 inches. I've checked many sites trying to find a grommet to fit but no luck. Has anyone who has replaced the tank, come up with an idea to keep the neck centered in the space so it will not move. I hope I explained the issue well enough. Thanks in advance...Paul   BCA member #52100

Paul, I had the same problem with my 1950.   I simply used a universal tail pipe hanger , clamped to the neck with the perforated strap attached to the inner fender. Works for me.

Ben

Try taking a radiator upper or lower hose, cut a 4” straight piece out, slit it in half, so now you have 2 pieces, then wrap it over filler neck, then use 2 hose clamps to secure hose to filler neck.

Bob

• 5 weeks later...

Hi all, once again thanks for the great advice on my filler neck issue. I actually found a gas tank grommet at Metro Moulded parts. It measured 4-5/8 od by 2-5/16 id. It fit perfectly over the filler neck and into the round tunnel leading to the tank. The rubber was pretty strong and it keeps the filler neck  centered and off the side of the tunnel. I hope this helps others that have the same issue with replacement gas tank filler necks.... Paul

• Like 1