Shifter is tight

rageracing

On my 34, what do we do to keep the shifter from drying out and being hard to move.  One I take it apart and polish it up good and lubricate it it works nice and easy and smooth.  Then a few drives later it’s dryer then the dessert and feels like metal is just gouling 

• 2 months later...

Hey everyone,  I couldn't get my old login to work.  So made a new one.  Not sure what that old email address password is either .  Any ways, any tips for fixing this shift issue?  The shifter binds so hard in the ball socket it makes it impossible to shift.  I lubricate it and that helps for alittle.  Maybe 15 shifts then it is back to binding 

Are the parts rough and galled? If so they might need to be replaced. I would try some super slippery synthetic grease (I keep Redline CV-2 around for things like this, but it wouldn't need to be that). Beyond that inspect the parts for damage.

As for your old account, there was a change, and that is why it is asking for email now. The only difference is you enter the email address you signed up with instead of your username now. I don't think it matters if you still have or use the email address, as long as you can remember what it was. The password is the one you used with your username to log in here (it's not any sort of password for the email address).

If you have forgotten your password and want to fix it, @Peter Gariepy can probably help.

Thanks.  The parts seem clean and I have polished them with fine sandpaper.  You can hear the spring binding too.  It's just a pain to take apart having to pull the floor board to get shifter out.  Maybe I'll do it again and put a layer of grease there.  Thanks 

• Like 1

How about trying to polish the parts that rub with buffing compound after sanding them smooth. Do you have a buffing wheel? I would try to make them to as close to a mirror finish as I could. Is there a way you could drill & tap it for a grease zerk. Then maybe you could give it a shot of grease every once in a while without taking it apart. Just a couple of ideas that popped into my head not anything I have tried.

23 hours ago, Walter Jones said:

How about trying to polish the parts that rub with buffing compound after sanding them smooth. Do you have a buffing wheel? I would try to make them to as close to a mirror finish as I could. Is there a way you could drill & tap it for a grease zerk. Then maybe you could give it a shot of grease every once in a while without taking it apart. Just a couple of ideas that popped into my head not anything I have tried.

Love it!  Thank you

• Like 1