29 Studebaker Straight Six 221 ci Engine

Akstraw

I am cleaning up a used engine (see title) for a friend.  Today dropped the oil pan and it was relatively clean; the normal light sludge, but I did find something unusual in there.  Lying in the sump was a 1/2 inch diameter steel ball.  I have no idea where it came from.  I wonder if it is part of a check valve in the lubrication assembly or something like that.  I can’t imagine what else it could be.   Is anyone familiar with this engine who might shed some light on this part?

Andrew, When I rebuilt the engine in my 27 President many years ago, as I remember, the oil pressure relief was located behind a hex plug on the driver's side near the middle of the engine. The spring and ball were behind a hex plug, easily accessible from the outside. Not sure if the 29 is the same, but it may be...

Frank

• Like 1

1 hour ago, oldford said:

Andrew, When I rebuilt the engine in my 27 President many years ago, as I remember, the oil pressure relief was located behind a hex plug on the driver's side near the middle of the engine. The spring and ball were behind a hex plug, easily accessible from the outside. Not sure if the 29 is the same, but it may be...

Frank

I don't have a Studebaker, but the pressure relief valve on my '28 Pontiac is essentially the same. 

Thanks Frank and Zach.  I will look for such a pressure relief when I get back on this project next week.

Andrew

• Like 1

Found the hex plug, on the driver's side toward the front of the block.  When I removed it, I found the spring was there, but no ball.  Re-installed the ball and spring; case closed.  Thanks again for the help!plugandball.JPG.4bdd68f5e2d6f291dc56660a9d855079.JPG

Edited by Akstraw
typo (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I would think that if the ball was out of the "Oil Pressure Relief" assembly and in the bottom of the pan you would have low or no oil pressure.   Did you have the engine running and what was the oil pressure.  Perhaps this is left over from a previous problem.