Information on 1929 Stutz from Mark Smith

Shivraj Anand

Hi 

I bought this 1929 Stutz M-21 Sedan from the Mark Smith Collection during the first round of auctions back in October 2022. 

I understand it is an Ex-Harrah Car which was acquired by the Natural History Museum in 1987 when the collection was liquidated / donated. Mark Smith Acquired it in 2016. 

Any further information would be of great help during the restoration process as the car was acquired mid-restoration 

4808.jpg

As an ex Harrrah car, you should be able to get the file from them. I believe it’s relatively inexpensive.

also, have you joined the Stutz Club? That is a requirement. You can send them a picture and they will post your letter to the bulletin and ask the members. Guaranteed somebody knows what’s going on.

The bronze Harrah's medallion identifying the car isn't there so it's proving difficult to get the records.

I've joined the club. Awaiting information from there as well. Casting the net as wide as possible in the hopes someone knows more about the car. Sadly didn't come with a lot of prior paperwork apart from Auction material. 

• 2 months later...

While restoring the car I came across the attached tag below the seat

Can someone help me interpret what the tag means?

Also what material does "duck" correspond to 

PXL_20230705_091434668.jpg

29 minutes ago, alsancle said:

Cool piece!   The "Duck" probably refers to the fabricate in some form.  Color, material?

The numbers on top correspond to the seat number printed on top of the springs. 

I'm guessing Duck refers to a type of material. Still trying to ascertain what kind though

Screenshot_20230702-202821.png

• Like 1

Duck is referring to a waterproof material used in cars, boats, and outdoor applications. It’s a standard industry term. Duck cloth was used for raincoats when referring to clothing. In automotive applications……it’s referring to the top material. I believe that in the 20’s it had adulterated rubber backing on a woven material. 

• Like 1

Fitted seat covers were made by multiple companies in the aftermarket here in the states, even for small production cars. I have never seen any car with factory installed seat covers……only dealer installed products. I have a bill of sale somewhere for a Duesenberg touring car showing seat covers that were added on with other accessories. My question is why would a sedan have waterproof seat covers? In this case Duck may be referring to a color……..?