Ignition/steering lock rusted 1927 Chev - how to remove?

ChrisReam

1927 Chevrolet Imperial Landau..The ignition lock is rusted in the off position and key cannot be inserted - tried all sorts of sprays into the lock with no luck … can it be drilled out or completely removed from the steering column?

You could also sign-up on the Vintage Chevrolet Club of America and ask there. There are sections for different year groups. While joining the club in encouraging, you don't have to. Also there is the Facebook page hosted by same club. 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/50230437832/

• Like 1

I had a 1928 Chevrolet National coupe. I remember the steering lock, The bolt used to bolt the assembly down was screwed down and the head which was designed to be broken off so there was nothing left for any type of spanner or screw driver to grip for removing the leftover.. Had to be drilled out and new bolt used. when finished tightening the new bolt the head is designed to be broken off, That system was used in Olds up to the 60s.

3 hours ago, dodge28 said:

That system was used in Olds up to the 60s.

Typo?, as Oldsmobile dash ignition switches in the 50s and 60s had nothing to do with steering columns. And a key and paper clip could remove the ignition switch cylinder.

Frank Duval, Thank you. for the correction. I think I saw some of that style of steering lock here in Canada. I helped a work mate drill out one . At first he was stumped and could not figure what was going on until he read the manual. Just under the bolt head there was a grove machined .Only the dealer sold them.