New to me - 34 Commander

Hi everyone,

Just purchased a pretty much concourse quality 34 Commander from Don Shelton and after my "maiden voyage" have a couple of issues to address.  Engine was running hot so found the belt very loose so tightened it and headed out again.  About a 1/2 mile down the road the car started making a terrible rattling noise.  Limped back home and open the hood to find a completely destroyed fan pulley...it literally pulverized the inner workings and when I removed it got a huge pile of black dust from it's innards so it's officially FUBAR'd.  After searching high and low I've about decided it was manufactured from unubtoniam.  Any help as to an after market solution or someone has one squirred away and has decided time to find a new home for it, I'm your guy.  Thanks!  Terry

As I recall, Bill Allard (batwing8) has used a modern two-bearing water pump shaft to rebuild the pulley. I believe those are permanently lubricated.  I tried to buy the bearing assembly that Bill had used but it was NLA. However, there are lots of other choices in those parts. I still have an original type pulley on my Indy car engine. They want just enough oil to lubricate but not so much as to get spun out by the shaft. 

The modern type looks about like this:

5B46FF36-5F2F-4E38-ABD6-749827D2C44B.png.87444ffbcc1aa4050fbf64c4a0c33e5c.png

Edited by Gary_Ash (see edit history)