1955 Buick special Carburetor starting problems-choke?

55BuickSpecial

I just rebuilt my carb yesterday and it all went well. The car started up nice and there were no problems expect for it idling too high so I was gonna adjust it with a vacuum gauge. Today I went to go change the idle and started up the car with no problem at all on pumped the gas 3 times then stated right up. I came out of the car dilmed the video below and it stalled after around a minute of running correctly. I then thought I needed to change the idle to be higher and then the car did not start at all or it took a long time and it was running extremely rough. I also realized that the Choke was jumping up and down and it did not do that before. I adjusted it so that when I lightly push down the plate it goes down so I believe that is correct but the rod is what I believe is the issue. In the photo below I don’t know what it is but when I was taking apart the carb I took off the 2 springs connecting to this part. I don’t know what it is called it like a spring I have a photo below thet is circled in red. There are 2 of these and piece behind is tight but the one I from is loose and the spring dosent stay tight there. I think I have it in the wrong place but I forgot where it is supposed to go. I am hoping this is the problem and I do not know exactly where the spring goes if anyone knows please let me know. It is a 2 barrel carter carb markings 2179s. I looked in the manual I bought and the pieces in the front are supped to be touching and they are where I put the clip but the metal piece I from moves freely shown in the video. I do not know why if anyone knows at all let me know and it it is the choke problem like I think. 

videos would not send but if I can’t Send so please use the link below to go to my google drive hopefully it works. 
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1-097IJ5rAeyBl92zy2s_5fKVkP4WQ9vP

thank you!

The 3rd video shows that the choke closed when the engine stalled, so that tells me the problem is likely on the other side of the carb.  What does your manual show for linkage placement.  It seems like the choke thermostat is maybe in backwards and instead of pulling the choke open while it is warming up it is reducing the tension on the choke butterfly allowing the butterfly to be pulled closed.  Of course that is just a guess.  

Update: I don’t know what I did but it works now and the car runs now without stalling at all even when I take my foot off the pedal. I have tested now for a few days and all good so I am not gonna change anything. I don’t know what the issue was I think it was the clip but now everything seems alright I’m just worried it I drive it will come off or stall but I will test around the block and see if there are any issues. Thanks for all the help! 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

A few years ago my '60 Electra 4GC was stalling and idling rough. Diagnosing from the steering wheel I imagined all kinds of fuel related issues like big wads of gooey Monsanto infestation to dissolved innards of the fuel system. It had been 9 years since I had the carb apart and it seemed like my problem was growing worse.

I opened it up to find it clean as a whistle.

009.JPG.4588c4c9361ba2a0f4867b3378d5c3d0.JPG

It turned out to be my aging condenser. I had done a tuneup a few years before, changing the points and condenser as the routine. A week later I came home on a flatbed with the new condenser wire blown out of the case and hanging in midair. I had put the know good used one back in. It finally gave up and had cause the rough idle as it struggled to hang in there.

I replaced it with a new Echlin from NAPA. If I can't find NOS ignition parts Echlin appears to be the best quality I can find over the counter. Don't overlook the unexpected.

• Thanks 2