Please help identify this chassis that came with another vehicle

95Cardinal

My friend got this rolling chassis along with a Morris re recently acquired, but he doesn't know what the chassis came from.

The frame tag has a chassis number, but no manufacturer's name.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Joe

-2505714927771103635.jpg.534d568f640f46169e2d0217e1403387.jpg2634499530629907801.jpg.e4e5eeabff8c9d51bc9f4b83bff4fed7.jpg-6538677018706597830.jpg.8978ea81226652a9487fad4894a25bef.jpg6755875931530082934.jpg.5f72f700d3a5c1792b5613842b7cb17e.jpg

2 hours ago, dictator27 said:

What is the number?

1 hour ago, nzcarnerd said:

A close up and higher resolution shot of that chassis number plate would be useful. Also some dimensions - wheelbase etc. It looks to be 1950s British? A rear sway bar is not a common item.

Based on @nzcarnerd comment, I searched for lever arm shocks for British cars. Looks like this might be a 1953-1964 Austin Healey chassis.

Thanks for the input; I'll post better pics as soon as I receive them so we can be certain.

If it is an Austin Healey it would be reasonably valuable. But I suspect it is probably something quite a bit less desirable like an Austin A 40. The general shape looks like something from a basic family sedan. 

A quick google search shows a circa 1950 A 40 chassis to be very similar to this one. 

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

Austin A40 Devons had hydraulic front brakes and mechanical rear brakes.  This chassis appears to have hydraulic rear brakes so it is likely an A40 Somerset which was the last Austin with a separate chassis.

9 hours ago, 1912Staver said:

If it is an Austin Healey it would be reasonably valuable. But I suspect it is probably something quite a bit less desirable like an Austin A 40. The general shape looks like something from a basic family sedan. 

A quick google search shows a circa 1950 A 40 chassis to be very similar to this one. 

1 hour ago, dictator27 said:

Austin A40 Devons had hydraulic front brakes and mechanical rear brakes.  This chassis appears to have hydraulic rear brakes so it is likely an A40 Somerset which was the last Austin with a separate chassis.

Thank you both for your input!

I'll pass your information on to my friend.

I'll add the additional photos of the chassis tag when I get them.

Joe

On 4/12/2023 at 6:07 PM, dictator27 said:

Please have your friend check the first chassis number again.  I suspect it is an 8.  That being the case, 854950 would be either a late 1953 or early 1954 Somerset.

Will do; thanks!

If the first number is truly a "6", what would that indicate? 

I have been searching for any information Austin chassis numbers, but haven't found anything for the early 1950s.

Joe 

So far I have only found two sources of early 50's Austin info.  One is austinmemories.com and the other is the Austin Counties club austincounties.org.uk.  Both are excellent but it seems a body number is needed to really nail things down.

• Thanks 1

Chassis number definitely starts with 6.

Found this on the Austin memories site:

image.png.b185d2c6df32964665cf70201772705e.png

From this chart, it looks like this might be an A40 pickup or van chassis. Does that make sense?

I'll ask for wheelbase dimension.

Thanks for your assistance everyone!

Joe

11 hours ago, 95Cardinal said:

Chassis number definitely starts with 6.

Found this on the Austin memories site:

image.png.b185d2c6df32964665cf70201772705e.png

From this chart, it looks like this might be an A40 pickup or van chassis. Does that make sense?

I'll ask for wheelbase dimension.

Thanks for your assistance everyone!

Joe

Yes that is correct.  When the change was made from the Devon to the Somerset pickups and vans kept the Devon front end until 1956.  Curiously they reverted to mechanical rear brakes for the last two years.

4 hours ago, dictator27 said:

Yes that is correct.  When the change was made from the Devon to the Somerset pickups and vans kept the Devon front end until 1956.  Curiously they reverted to mechanical rear brakes for the last two years.

Okay, thanks.

Wheelbase is 93", track 54" 

Does that narrow it down?

We're trying to figure out what it is so he can list it for sale with some confidence of what it's for.

Joe

The Devon and Somerset both used the same frame so the wheelbase and track are the same.  The info on austinmemories doesn't go far enough to determine if the frame was under a pickup or a van.  They are pretty much interchangeable otherwise.  Pickups were quite popular where I am (western Canada).  Vans probably less so.  By adding extra side windows and a second seat the vans became Countryman "station wagons" so that is another possibility.

15 hours ago, dictator27 said:

The Devon and Somerset both used the same frame so the wheelbase and track are the same.  The info on austinmemories doesn't go far enough to determine if the frame was under a pickup or a van.  They are pretty much interchangeable otherwise.  Pickups were quite popular where I am (western Canada).  Vans probably less so.  By adding extra side windows and a second seat the vans became Countryman "station wagons" so that is another possibility.

Thanks so much for all the help!

We will just describe it as an Austin pickup/van frame.

Joe