Speedometer problem

Have a 1990 16 valve with 40000 miles. Odometer is still working but the speedometer quit just before I put it into winter storage last year.

Snow is almost melted and soon time to come out of storage. Need repair suggestions ???

Jim Bird

4 hours ago, Jim Bird said:

Have a 1990 16 valve with 40000 miles. Odometer is still working but the speedometer quit just before I put it into winter storage last year.

Snow is almost melted and soon time to come out of storage. Need repair suggestions ???

Jim Bird

Jim, the problem is almost always the opposite of what you described, that the SPEEDOMETER needle indicates speed but the ODOMETER numbers do not rotate. If this is what you mean, the repair is a set of small gears that are in the odometer drive which are broken and need replacement. If you feel up to repairing it yourself, you can obtain the gears from ODOMETER GEARS at the website sales@odometergears.com there is also a video available to show you how to do it.  If you do not feel up to the repair, you could contact me as I have done likely a hundred or more over the years and would happily repair yours.  Contact me in a PM here or get the contact information from your TC Owners Club Newsletter.

Edited by Hemi Dude
Spelling correction (see edit history)

Hemi gave you a link to create an email.  Here is the link to get you to the web page:

www.odometergears.com

Then click on Chrysler/Dodge followed by clicking on All Chrysler/Dodge Vehicles.

Check the September 2022 Newsletter as you only want to ship the odometer and not the entire instrument cluster.

Bob

1 hour ago, 2Shelbys said:

If it is indeed the speedo that isn't working it is one of the speed sensors in the trans, probably the output sensor. Replace both. They are side-by-side, easy to access, and inexpensive. 

This guy has a 16V engine, "I don't think he has those 2 sensors you are talking about"! Here is a photo of the 'Distance Sensor' on the transaxle behind the 16V engine.image.png.f0ddde916a152e3097778caec0953d04.png

Edited by Hemi Dude
Photo added (see edit history)

It is indeed the speedo and not the odometer. For a couple of weeks before it completely failed it was intermittently failing   ie reading correctly then falling back to zero. It would stay at zero for some time

and then for no apparent reason start to function.Finally it stopped working totally.

Jim Bird

2 hours ago, Jim Bird said:

It is indeed the speedo and not the odometer. For a couple of weeks before it completely failed it was intermittently failing   ie reading correctly then falling back to zero. It would stay at zero for some time

and then for no apparent reason start to function.Finally it stopped working totally.

Jim Bird

You wrote "Odometer is still working but the speedometer quit just before I put it into winter storage last year." The way you wrote that would give us the perception that although the speedometer stopped indicating the speed, the ODOMETER continued to register the distance traveled.   

In any event I would look for a loose connection at the Distance Sensor and if not there, possibly the sensor may be defective. The problem is rarely in the speedometer itself. 

3067ED55-AEE6-4356-9782-475F8C757ADD_1_105_c.jpeg.5545b566ac914b8dff978405d3b95522.jpeg

image.png.02611de095be60ab30ebeb6f4ccc6890.png

Some times the adaptor below the Distance Sensor looses contact with the sensor and this can also cause disruption of the signal.

On 3/21/2023 at 12:55 PM, Hemi Dude said:

This guy has a 16V engine, "I don't think he has those 2 sensors you are talking about"! Here is a photo of the 'Distance Sensor' on the transaxle behind the 16V engine.image.png.f0ddde916a152e3097778caec0953d04.png

Oops, didn't see that. Disregard!

• 1 month later...

Update on speedo issue. Local transmission shop checked distance sensor. Found sensor and wiring to be good

Did a road test with scanner. Got vehicle speed signal on the data stream of the scanner but nothing on the speedo

Suggesting that the problem is with the instrument cluster. Any suggestions???