For Sale: 1921 Studebaker Light Six touring - Project - $7,000 - Mapleton, OR - Not Mine

For Sale: 1921 Studebaker Light Six touring - Project - $7,000 - Mapleton, OR

1921 Studebaker Light Six for Sale - cars & trucks - by owner -... (craigslist.org)
Seller's Description:

• Terrific Project Car, Original Barn Find
• Seeking the right home for it
• 6 Cylinder, Aluminum engine
• All original car including paint and interior. Color black exterior and interior
• Leather dilapidated interior and cover
• Top and drive train ran excellent but it's been in storage for while (we’ve moved a few times) and it presently is not starting, and we don’t have time to work on it as remodeling our house. Owner is a mechanic who has kept it running till recently. No serious issues, just needs some TLC.
• The engine has never been apart. The engine started with a simple hand crank or two (the electric starter is broken).
• Also have literature on car, including shop manuals.
• Clean title (from California), plates, and all paperwork in order and ready to go.

Copy and paste in your email: e7639febc9fc3a50af6caa2355707e0c@sale.craigslist.org

I have no personal interest or stake in the eventual sale of this 1921 Studebaker Light Six touring - Project.

'21 Studebaker Light Six OR a.jpg

'21 Studebaker Light Six OR b.jpg

'21 Studebaker Light Six OR c.jpg

'21 Studebaker Light Six OR d.jpg

• Like 1

That's a very interesting looking engine. Was it just an aluminic water jacket or was it actually an aluminum block with steel liners?

40hp is twice a "T". 

12 hours ago, Leif in Calif said:

That's a very interesting looking engine. Was it just an aluminic water jacket or was it actually an aluminum block with steel liners?

40hp is twice a "T". 

Leif:

The Standard Catalog of American Cars, 1805-1942, edited by Kimes and Clark, states the Light Six Model EJ was introduced April 1920, the engine a 207.1 ci L-head six (cast enbloc) cast iron block (aluminum cylinder head).  It doesn't state whether the bloc was aluminum painted or otherwise finished.

Steve

• Thanks 1

Been a few years. If I recall correctly, yes the block is cast iron and usually robust and reliable. Also if I recall correctly, the aluminum heads on these are seriously prone to failure due to corrosion issues. However, the later version of these engines had a nearly identical head in cast iron that fits, works, and if painted silver looks almost the same! About a year go, I went to look at a 1923 sedan for sale near me that had the cast iron head, looked just like that aluminum one!

When I was playing with early Studebakers twenty plus year ago and had a 1925 standard with the next generation engine, I knew several people with the early 1920s standard size cars. Replacing the aluminum heads with cast iron ones was done quite a lot. I have no idea how readily available the iron heads are for these today, or aren't.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1